Part 20

Standing in the midst of a steam-filled bathroom, Y/N took a moment to himself.

Look at you.

He stood, staring at his reflection. After each passing second, a mirror began to clear up until it finally displayed a full image of himself.

You're a damn coward.

Shutting his eyes, Y/N felt his fingers glide over ceramic with a slight squeak. He took a few deep breaths and pursed his lips.

Focus. Focus. Need to get to Vytal. Find Fria...

Several minutes passed before he stood fully geared, he was sure to double check every harness strap and the gravity dust under his holster and sheath.

It was unsettling really, seeing himself dressed so close to a Hunter. Most specifically, a Black Church Hunter.

Long nights were spent in the city and it's outskirts, purging any signs of madness.

They could have toppled a hierarchy overnight if they so pleased, but the only great power to destroy was themselves.

A knock on the door disturbed Y/N from his thoughts. He blinked before shaking his head.

Opening the door, Y/N passed Saphron who held a pile of her own clothes. He muttered an apology before heading downstairs, his backpack buddy staring at his retreating form the whole way.

He now sat on the porch of Taiyang's cabin, waiting. He gazed at the deep green surrounding the area, momentarily entranced by it's beauty.

The door behind Y/N suddenly swung open with Ruby and Yang suddenly speeding out passed him. They were openly giggly as their game of tag commenced.

"I was meaning to ask." Taiyang stood beside Y/N, with his arms crossed he stared at his friends choice of attire. "What happened to your gear? I kinda figured Qrow would be the one to dress to impress."

My gear... hand outs more like.

Seeing a child roam Vacuo caused a pang in certain hearts, enough to gear Y/N for the harsh world ahead, but never enough to offer a home and loving family.

Pieces of armor strapped to his body with a sword and shield were his humble beginnings to a tragic story.

"I sold it all." Y/N replied, his tone even and showing no regret.

"Really??" Taiyang said, truly surprised, he then asked through a small laugh. "Why?"

"Didn't need it anymore." Y/N answered vaguely. "It just took up space."

I hated it...

The thought of someone handing out charity because they felt sorry for him drove a pit of sickness in Y/N's stomach. What he had now was out of gratitude, or more like he actually earned it.

Taiyang hummed with an unseen series of nods. Detecting a certain distaste in Y/N's voice, he quickly shifted the conversation in a different direction.

"So." Taiyang sat beside Y/N with a sigh. "What's in Vytal?"

"Apparently-" Y/N sighed, he shifted and turned to Taiyang with utter sincerity. "-Do you believe in destiny?"

"Destiny..." Taiyang mulled the thought over for a moment, he then finally answered with his expression dropping. "No, not at all."

"I didn't either." Y/N cleared his throat as his gaze turned to the floor. "Then, it turns out my entire life was for some reason. After all the times people called me special I finally began to believe it. Guess 'special' isn't as great as they say... I was never meant to stay a Huntsman or start a family... I'm supposed to be right here, right now. And apparently--Vytal has all my answers to why."