Part 83

Settled atop a small hill and nestled within the forests of Anima. That's where a small boy found himself awake in the early hours, wandering a cabin in search of something.

Mercury was just like any other thirteen-year-old seeking a glass of water.

When the patter of his feet descended a set of fine wooden stairs, he stopped. He could feel something; he wasn't sure if it was paranoia or a sixth sense that brought a sense of dread over his shoulders.

Mercury blinked and shook his head; he didn't have time to feel spiritual when he could be busy sleeping.

Continuing down, he stepped on the cold tile floor of a kitchen; there, he almost drunkenly searched for an adequate glass.

After a few clinks of cups, he turned on the sink and eventually felt the crisp cold water meet his stomach.

Smacking his lips in satisfaction, he put the cup away and suddenly stopped.

In the corner of the room, there was a pair of gold orbs; they were focused on him with a sort of expectancy.

Mercury's heart jumped into a rapid beat; he felt the urge to let up his dinner and scream.

In a smooth and silent movement, the unknown figure brought a finger to his lips in a terrifying shush.

The boy remained utterly still as he emerged from the shadows; it was when the moonlight from a nearby window touched his tall form did he see his face.

"Are you Mercury?" He asked in a whisper, but even then, the tone of his voice nearly caused the boy to run.

Mercury didn't want to talk; he didn't want to make a noise. So instead, he nodded rapidly.

"Your dad, is he home?" He asked, keeping his voice low.

Mercury shook his head, but a sudden halt clued Y/N in.

"Is there someone else?" He asked once more, this time going on guard with narrowed eyes.

Mercury nodded. "M-my mom." He stuttered and began to fiddle with his fingers nervously.

"Where is she?"

The stranger's voice was all business; he didn't want a lie or any deception; it quickly led to the boy pointing up to the ceiling.

He hummed; the vibration from his throat was like a revving engine, deep and powerful; Mercury saw it more as a growl from a monster.

"Let's have a seat." He said, pulling up two chairs to a small table. "I want to ask you some things."

Mercury gulped and hopped into the seat beside him; he heard him sigh before speaking.

"Your dad... do you love him?"

It was a loaded question for the boy, one he responded to without a hint of doubt.

"No."

Where two people met, a man seeking vengeance and a boy living in hell, there was a small similarity.

The stench of alcohol, they couldn't stand it, the caramel liquid led to horrible things in their lives, fortunately for Y/N that made his life easier.

"And why is that?" Y/N asked, letting his elbows rest on his knees.

"Mom says he's a no good drunk; that's why he hits us when he gets mad."

"He hits you." Y/N repeated, his voice lowering into a growl. "Is that it?"

"No." Mercury muttered under his breath. "He kills people; he says it's cause we need money."

Y/N grunted with a shadowy nod; he had heard just about enough of his old teammate.