Part 76

"Y/N!"

Running through the dirt with a line of coughs, Lance spotted a dark figure laid out in the dirt.

Slinging his rifle, he grit his teeth as he kneeled beside the older man. He grimaced at the sight of his mangled body.

His armor and shield did their job, protecting the majority of his body. But standing inside the kill zone of the explosion shattered his left arm and caused fatal internal damage.

His armor was destroyed, leaving only the underlying metal layer with the shock-absorbing surface bent and burnt.

Laying his fingers on his neck and repositioning it with a scowl, Lance finally found a pulse, but it was weak.

Suddenly, he heard the thunderous bang of gunfire and the screams of his comrades.

"ON THE LEFT!"

"LEFT SIDE! FROM THE BULLHEAD!"

"Shit!" Lance cursed under his breath. He quickly stripped Y/N of his ruined armor and slung his arm around his neck.

"Come on." The younger man grunted as he began to lift. "You heavy bastard."

With his limp body now upright, Lance began to make his way to a nearby alleyway with a ladder to the roof.

A sharp snap came from behind, causing the man to wince from a sharp pain in his back.

Dropping Y/N, Lance turned around with his rifle drawn to see the so-called nomad leader. His friendly demeanor was gone, replaced with a focused scowl and a pistol in his hand.

A quick shootout ensued with Lance unloading half his rifle tube at the man and him doing the same with his full magazine.

In the heat of the moment, bullets whizzed past both men while only a few met their mark.

With half his tube left, Lance gave up accuracy to fire from his hip. He racked the rifle and held the trigger while a couple rounds slammed into his ribs and nicked his neck.

His aura remained solid as he coughed and gagged from the harsh impact. However, it didn't stop him from seeing the fake nomad collapse as his knee was blown out and his gut received a bullet.

Not trusting his aim as his neck throbbed, Lance approached with his rifle as the downed man reloaded his pistol.

Tossing his rifle in the air and catching it by the barrel, he released a short scream as he brought it high and swung down in a wood axe swing.

The hard stock of his weapon broke the man's nose, caving it in and knocking him unconscious, never to wake up again.

Spitting on the soon-to-be corpse, Lance ran back to Y/N and started the process all over again.

Still coughing from the cloud of dirt, the younger man held his rifle in one hand as he slowly trudged forward.

"Y/N! Y/N!"

Hearing Sangria's voice, Lance called back with a groan. "Over here!"

Left with a large bruise over his neck and difficulty breathing, he collapsed with shut eyes and weak knees.

Wheezing through his aching throat, he called out once more. "H-here!"

As his ringing ears began to settle, he noticed something terrible. The gunfire suddenly ceased as the dirt settled.

Squinting his eyes and looking to the nearest roof, they quickly widened in shock as blood dripped from its brick tops.

Standing over him with a dagger covered in the same blood was a single individual. A man just a few inches shorter than Y/N with a build to match.