Part 185

Kuroyuri. A remote village only found by fading road signs and equally fading roads. Despite its remoteness, Forest always found it to be peaceful and beautiful.

His green eyes tracked the many civilians that dotted this village, moving from one place to another while mostly congregating around a central inn and the civilian vendors.

It wasn't common to find Hunters here, that alone was enough for Forest to sit underneath the bare peach tree at its center.

With his blade laid out before him, sheathed, he rested, meditating to clear his clouded mind.

"Forest! Forest!"

It had been a month since his departure from Argus, marking his journey half way complete.

"Ahh, good morning, Sunny."

It had also been a month since he was forced to kill Sunny. An unfortunate event that had yet to leave him be.

Reaching for the dagger at his hip, he removed the magical metal and it's leather sheath to set it just below his sword.

The dagger was simply that, a dagger. A razor sharp, double sided blade that protruded eight or so inches from its flat guard. But on the hilt was a personal addition, a length of Dust infused rope braided neatly around the wooden base and coming down an extra couple inches.

With enough control, the Dust could act as a magnifier, increasing the magical potency by a significant degree.

Sunny, just ten years old, came running down a slope, a little hill that lead to a massive stone structure. A castle.

When she tripped over a hidden stone in the road, she picked herself back up and came running once more. Her smile never wavering.

"I have something for you." He told the little girl when she stood before him, huffing and puffing.

Forest kneeled in the snow ridden ground, snow so deep it slowed Sunny when it reached just above her shin.

Reaching to his back, Forest undid a little belt that allowed a simple sheath to come loose, revealing a dagger to the young girl.

"Come on." He beckoned to the girl who excitedly waded through the snow.

As she stood before him, trying her best to stifle a grin, he reached around, hooking the belt to her waist and tightening it.

Holding her by the shoulders, he spoke. "You're one of us now..."

Forest gave the dagger a long solemn gaze. A piece of metal that was going to be a constant reminder for the remaining days he carried it.

Shifting his eyes to the sky, he could only sit there and wonder.

What are you doing now, Sunny?

________________________________

In the late evening, the lone man wanted to get himself situated for the night, specifically getting a bed and a nice shower.

Pushing open the heavy door to the inn, he picked out a seat in the bustling establishment.

Despite his dark clothes and leather armor, he blended right in with the traveling Hunters who occupied the majority of the bar and upstairs lounge.

Making sure he had everything tucked away and secured, he made his way to the far back where an open window shined down on a table for two.

Taking a seat and relaxing, he gave himself a much needed moment to simply be.