ㅤ38ㅤAWAITED RECONCILIATION.

CHAPTER THRITY-EIGHT
AWAITED RECONCILIATION.

Exhausted with the day's proceedings, (Y/N) decided to go upstairs, but she saw the office where her father ran accounting and other paperworks for the agency and decided that she really needed to talk to him

Hesitantly moving towards the door, she knocked on it lightly. "Father, are you there? It's me. Can I... talk to you?"

There was a few moments of silence and she almost thought that no one was inside and she should probably just talk to him tomorrow when a muffled deep voice came from the room.

He sounded tired.

"...Come in."

After hearing his voice, she twisted the knob and pushed the door open. Stepping inside, she saw her father sitting in his large leather chair, the room was composed of whites, blues and grays and the only source of light was coming from his computer screens and a small desktop light. His hands moved swiftly over the keyboard as he waited (she assumed) for her to take a seat in one of the three chairs located in front of his large mahogany desk.

(Y/N) took her seat and waited as he continued to finish up whatever was currently capturing his attention. Finally, his hands moved away from his keyboard and decided to fold them in front of his face, eyes closing with a sigh.

"If this is about you being—"

"...Are you disappointed in me?" She interrupted, impatient to know the answers to her questions. "Are you embarrassed of me? Am I not strong enough? Do you think that I wouldn't be able to handle things? Is that what you're worried about?" She asked questions after questions, almost desperate to get an answer to at least one of them.

The sigh that escaped Gin's lips was slow, as if his brain needed that time to process what was happening and where are the questions coming from. In his sigh existed the moments he needed to respond with care. His eyes remained closed and refused to look at his daughter.

Instead of giving an immediate answer, he said, "When you told me that you wanted to be a hero, your eyes were filled with bitterness and vengeance. Those eyes saw no value in your own life."

(Y/N) flinched and averted her gaze, feeling called out so blatantly. "How would you know?"

"Because I knew a man who had the same eyes as yours."

"And what happened to that man?"

"The same as what happened to you. He trained, pursued being a hero, and ceased to fear death." And when he finally opened his eyes, his gray eyes looked more tired than before— like he had been carrying a huge weight on his back for his entire life. "I don't want that life for you."