ㅤ ㅤ ㅤㅤ ㅤㅤENDING.

Normally, soaring through the crisp night sky would make all of Hawks's stress evaporate like a cloud of smoke and leave him feeling light and content after a grueling day of work.

Tonight was not one of those nights.

His wings are now the half of its size and although injured, Hawks couldn't be more relieved at the minimal damage. He absolutely loathed being grounded and the feeling of vulnerability that nearly suffocates him when he doesn't have his fierce wings at his beck and call. And being cooped up in his office more often than he would have liked only added to his growing agitation.

Plus, his agitation had begun effecting his work ethic, as well. He tried to hide it, but it showed in the way he made small missteps or mistakes he never would have before. He couldn't keep his attention focused on anything for too long, and he would tend to forget topics of conversations mere moments after having them.

Hawks could only chalk so much of it up to sleep deprivation and a stressful workload before his employees became visibly worried about him.

When one of his assistants tentatively suggested that maybe he should take a day off for some "much deserved rest," Hawks nearly sobbed.

Luckily, he didn't do that. That would have been an over-dramatic reaction even for him, considering his usual flair for theatrics.

It was during times like this that Hawks was thankful for having wings.

That's more or less how he ended up flying towards a certain balcony perched on a building.

He really should pay more attention to his surroundings and where he was going, but he was just so tired. The past few days have been absolute hell for the winged hero.

He needed a break from it all.

He needed to get away from it all.

Away from heroes and secrets and lies.

"You are such a sight for sore eyes."

This is the last place that (Y/N) thought she would see the annoying blonde, but the man did have an affinity for appearing in strange locations at even stranger times, so maybe that's just normal.

Hawks plopped himself down on the metal railing with the laziness of a cat, tossing his legs over the edge. He raised both arms over his head and does an over-exaggerated stretch, joints popping a bit too loudly for a certain (H/C) haired girl's ears.

(Y/N), with crossed arms and not so well-hidden irritation continued to stare at the man who came to her balcony unwanted and unannounced, an unimpressed look on her face.

"What a nice greeting," he says, a hint of sarcasm in his voice and an annoying smile in place. "Your attitude is being nasty again."

"Between the both of us, I don't think you should be the one saying that insult," the stoic faced teen easily retorted, agitation as clear as day in her voice.

"Hmm," is all Hawks responded with, obviously not caring whether he's pissing her off or not but deciding to let the subject drop.

A surprisingly companionable silence matted between them. It never fails to unsettle Hawks just how comfortable he can get around the sword user.

How naturally (Y/N) settled into his space, knowing when to talk (unpleasantly at most times) and when to stay quiet. He would be lying if he said he didn't secretly enjoy these quiet moments.

It's only then that Hawks remembers where they are and what he's here for.

"Hey, do me a favor," he ordered, swinging his legs back and forth as he sat on top of the railing.