Chapter 33

It was the end of the day and the Newsies were chilling in the common room when Spot walked in. Race immediately left as soon as he saw him in the door.

The rest of the Newsies all glanced at each other, not having a clue about what had happened between the two.

"Race stop running away from me. You're going to have to talk to me eventually so there's no use avoiding it," Spot called after him. Race just kept walking away. "Race please just talk to me."

Race quickly glanced at Spot over his shoulder before picking up his pace. "Please just leave me alone," he whispered.

"No Race but if you just talk to me I'll leave you alone okay," Spot was practically pleading with Race at this point but he was loosing his temper and he was starting to raise his voice. "Race I swear to God-"

He grabbed Race's arm and Race, unwillingly, spun around to face him. There was tears in his eyes and Spot immediately regretted raising his voice. "Race I'm sorry I shouldn't have raised my voice."

They both just stood there for a few minutes, neither not truly knowing how to start the awkward conversation they were bound to have.

"I really like you Race and it was stupid to kiss you. I really liked the evenings when we'd just hang out and I know that I've probably ruined our friendship and it's entirely my fault," Spot was spilling his guts to Race, thankfully not literally, something he was very unfamiliar with.

"I really like you too but I'm just so scared and I know it's stupid but I'm just so scared," Spot had pulled him into a tight embrace.

"It's not stupid and if you don't want this it's okay or if you just want to take it slow that's okay too."

"I want to try being with you. I mean we both like each other, so it kind of makes sense. But please I just want to take it slow," They finally pulled away from their embrace.

Spot cupped Race's face and ran his thumbs over his cheeks, wiping away any loose tears that had escaped his eyes.

They were looking each other in the eyes and started leaning in. Spot looked at Race, asking him an unspoken question. Race barely nodded but Spot took it as a sign and leaned in slowly to kiss him.

It was gentle but full of love. When the pair broke apart after a little while they were both out of breath.

"Do you maybe want to try being boyfriends?" Race asked with a sense of hope in his voice.

"I'd love to but I think we should head back now before everyone else starts to worry," they both laughed at how overprotective some of the boys can be towards Race (*cough* Jack *cough*).

They started walking back in silence when Race spoke up, "Will you hold my hand? Even in front of the boys."

"Of course. Are you okay with them knowing?" Spot asked taking Race's hand in his own. Race nodded in reply and they walked back to the common room in a comfortable silence.

~~~
536 words