Chapter 39

"Why do we have to do these again?" Jack asked Davey for what felt like the 100th time to him.

"To prepare us for the state exams so that having to do 2 hour long papers isn't a foreign concept. Just one we've feared since we were like 10," Davey explained. "Now please be quiet and study or else I will throw this book at you."

He waved the largest textbook he owned in Jack's direction, trying to get him to be quiet.

Davey was taking the study for the Winter Exams far too serious, he was writing notes for topics they didn't need for the tests.

Jack on the other hand couldn't care less about the Winter Exams, he was half-heartedly doing notes and even then they were just so Davey would stop telling him that he needed to study.

"Why do we have to do state exams though?"

"Why is our entire future based on some papers we take when we are 18?"

"When will any of this information even be used in real life?"

"Can we have a snack break?"

"Can I borrow some of your notes?"

"When do we have our science exam?"

Despite telling Jack to stop talking, he did not.

"Jack, I swear to any almighty being there is, if you don't shut up and start studying or just let me study I will not hesitate to throw you out of the dorm," Davey uncharacteristically shouted.

Jack was taken aback by his sudden outburst and got up to leave.

"I'm sorry I was bothering you. I'll go," Jack said quietly and went to open the door.

"Jack, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to blow up at you. Please don't leave," Davey pleaded with him.

He stood up in an attempt to get him to stay.

Jack went out the door regardless and Davey dropped back into his chair and put his head in his hands.

He could feel tears building up inside him and he tried to push them down. Against his attempts to stop them, they started falling.

He heard someone walking past the door and tried to wipe away the tears as mush as he could.

Thankfully it was only Sarah who rushed in as soon as she saw the tears on his face.

"Hey, what's up? Do you need a hug?" Davey nodded his head and pulled Sarah into a bear hug. "Do you want me to get Jack?" Davey shook his head at this.

They just stayed there for a while, Davey sobbing into her shoulder. Eventually, his tears subdued and he could form coherent sentences.

"I messed up. Massively messed up," he explained. "I was studying for the exams with Jack and he wouldn't shut up and I had tried asking him nicely but he just kept talking and I just lost it. I shouted at him and told him to shut up and then he left."

"Why don't you go try to apologise to him? You know what he's like, he was probably just mad in the moment. I doubt there'll be any hard feelings over it," Sarah suggested.

Davey nodded and sighed.

"I'll go apologise to him then. Also, when I'm done I have to have a serious talk with you about not giving such good advice," they both laughed and Sarah started pushing him out the door.

"I'll never stop. Now shoo and go get your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend."

~~~
578 words