Chapter 85

The Newsies all studied hard that night, wanting to get the bulk of it done so they could relax over the weekend.

They had all gotten most of it done, some more so than others, and were spending their Saturday doing what they do most, sitting in the common room.

"Why do we always stay in here and never go anywhere else?" Buttons asked after they had all been there for a few hours.

"Because there's teachers and the Delanceys (I just realised that I've been spelling Delancey wrong the whole time.) in other places," Finch explained.

"But we could still go outside," Race pointed out.

The Newsies all agreed on this so they went outside to the grass area beside the courtyard.

They found the biggest tree and sat in a circle underneath it.

"We should play truth or dare," Mike suggested.

Everyone nodded and decided that Mike should start since he was the one to suggest it.

He, quite stupidly, went with Spot. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare," Spot declared. They could have just not asked him since he always picks dare, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

"I dare you to have Race sit on your lap for the rest of the game."

Spot happily agreed to the dare and pulled Race from beside him onto his lap, wrapping his arms around Race's waist and resting his chin on his shoulder.

Race was not quite as happy and made sure his distaste was known.

"How is that a dare for him, I'm the one who has to sit on his lap," he complained.

"You don't mind it though," Spot pointed out.

"Shut up." The Newsies all laughed and Race twisted and tried to hide his face in Spot's shoulder so they wouldn't see his blush.

"Sarah, truth or dare?" Spot asked turning his attention to Sarah.

"Truth."

"What's going on between you and Katherine?" he asked, raising and eyebrow.

Sarah looked over at Katherine who nodded slightly with a smile on her face.

"We're dating," she explained. "That's it."

Some of the Newsies whistled and Davey told Katherine the older brother talk, even if he was a minute younger.

"Jack, which one?" Sarah asked.

"I'll take a dare," he replied after making a show of thinking.

"Give Crutchie and piggy back and walk around the grounds."

Jack jumped up quickly and ran over to Crutchie. He was jumping up and down like a child on Christmas.

Crutchie stood up and handed his crutch to JoJo, who was the Newsie nearest him.

Jack crouched down and held his hand out to grab his bad leg so it was easier for him to hop onto his back.

Once he was finally on his back and they had gotten him on a comfortable spot for the both of them.

One where Jack wasn't being choked by Crutchie's arms around his neck and where Crutchie's bad leg was comfortable and wasn't bothering him more so than normal.

They went for a walk around the grounds like this, only stopping occasionally to check on Crutchie's leg.

Once they returned they sat down and went back to the game.

They went on playing until it started to get dark and they got too cold to stay outside.

They migrated to the common room and talked for a while before they all started to go to their dorms.

~~~
556 words