Chapter 67

Jack and Davey returned after dinner on Sunday evening.

The Newsies who were still at the school had started to worry since Davey had originally said he'd be back at Sunday lunch latest.

Davey snook Jack up to their dorm before telling everyone else that they returned.

Jack insisted that he was fine and that he didn't need to go to his room before seeing everyone but Davey insisted-forced- him to.

After a heated debate between the pair Davey agreed to let him see everyone but only in small groups.

Jack, obviously, demanded that Crutchie be the first to see him.

Davey wasn't going to argue, he had planned on getting Crutchie first anyway.

He knew they needed each other.

He went down to the common room where he assumed the Newsies would be.

He was obviously correct.

He knocked on the door first since he worried that they might go absolutely crazy if he just walked in.

He knew some of them have the ability to stay calm but others, almost 75% of them, had no sort of ability.

It took him a while but he did get inside without getting attacked by an over excited Newsie, they mean well but they are like children, and went through the long process of saying hello to everyone.

Once he had finished and made his way to Crutchie, he noticed a worried look on Crutchie's face.

"Could you find him?" he asked once the pair had moved out of earshot of everyone else.

"Yeah, he's up in our room but-" he had planned to explain the concussion before they got to the room so it wasn't as much of a surprise when they arrived.

"Is he okay?" Crutchie asked quickly, trying to keep up with his mind that was going to every possible situation imaginable.

"He's okay but he hit his head a few times and he has a concussion," Davey explained. "I don't know how he got it I keep trying to ask him but he always changed the subject or plays it off like it's nothing."

Crutchie nodded and started to head up to the room.

"Is it okay if it's just me with him at first?" he asked nervously, playing with his fingers.

"Of course it it. I have to go tell Sarah some family tea anyway," the pair both smiled and set off in separate directions.

Crutchie was worried less now than he had previously been but as he approached the door is worry only grew.

It grew especially when he couldn't hear anything inside the room.

Jack is one of the loudest people he knows, even when he's quietly drawing you'd hear him talking to himself or just making noises while he's contemplating something he drew.

Crutchie knocked on the door expecting him to be painting or drawing like he usually does, with him on one of those parts where it takes all of his concentration.

When he didn't receive any sort of an answer he pushed open the door slowly.

When he walked into the room he found Jack curled up in a ball on what Crutchie could have sworn was Davey's bed.

He chuckled lightly when he heard light snores coming from him as he got closer.

He sat down beside Jack and started rubbing circles into his back while he slept.

~~~
561 words