71: Speaking Her Truth

Before I left university, I had one thing to do.

Speak my truth.

I wanted to do that fucking presentation. I knew it was due ages ago but I refused to let it go. After a week in Amsterdam and a week spending time with my friends, I was going in for my last day of uni.

I got ready into a white t shirt, a black slip dress, black ripped opaque tight and a black cardigan. I put on some eye liner and mascara and my docs before turning around to Harry who was gazing at me. "How do I look?"
"Stunning" He replied with a smile. "You ready to do this?"
"Yeah. You?" Harry insisted on driving me there and I was pleased.
"More than ready" he replied as I pulled him off my bed.

I told Harry to wait in the car whilst I walked inside with Delilah, Lav and Arrow, my head high. Of course people stared at me and whispered but I took no notice. I burst into my classroom to see class had started and Giovanni was teaching.
"Nice to have you back Zahra" He said in a sarcastic tone, causing the class to snicker.
"Mhm...I'm here to do my presentation"
"Zahra, they were due ages ago"
"I think you of all people should let me speak my truth, don't you think?" My friends looked at him with dagger eyes as they sat down in seats, waiting patiently.

I started by talking about what sexual assault was and the statistics and included things that judges had said to victims. It was going smoothly and my friends were cheering me on silently. The looks Giovanni gave me were causing me to stammer and slip up anxiously, causing everyone to titter. But right when I was going to give up, the door opened. Everyone looked left to see...Harry. Of course a bunch of people gasped as well..he's famous. But he saw my painful eyes and sat down next to Arrow and nodded for me to carry on, ignoring anyone who was staring at him or getting their phones out.

He was here.

"Right...as I was saying...the justice system deals with sexual assault in ways that do more harm than good to the point some victims won't come forward...like myself" Yeah, that's one way to do it. Gasps were heard across the room. "But lucky for me, I have awesome friends. And an amazing boyfriend to help me through such hardships. But the trauma I've endured has caused me to drop out of university as I will have to see my abuser every day. But it's okay...because I did it for myself" Harry had tears in his eyes but he looked so proud - as did my three friends.

"I think what I'd like everyone to take away from this is to support each other in the best ways possible. And just don't be a piece of shit" I looked at Giovanni whos cheeks were red. "Theres no excuse for this type of shit. We need to stop telling people to cover up - rather, we tell others to not rape"

Tears had formed in my eyes as I finished. But the room was full of clapping. Harry got out of his chair and gave me a massive hug.
"Harry, i told you to stay in the car!" I scolded him.
"And miss out!? Hell no!" He chuckled as my friends joined our hug. He didn't even care anymore - he just wanted to be there for me.

We all pulled away as people started chattering away.
"You ready to go?" Delilah asked.
"Uhh in a bit..." I looked Giovanni dead in the eye and said "Fuck you" before i took Harrys hand and walked out of the room.
"You did amazing love" He grinned as we headed to the exit, my friends with us.
"Yeah Zahra! You did so well! Giovannis face was priceless!" Lav added. "Fuck that guy"
"I swear if he touches anyone again I'll cut his dick off and choke him with it" Arrow hissed angrily who was then hugged by Delilah.

My friends walked us to the exit where I hugged all of them goodbye. I was moving out of my flat in a week but we all were all going to hang out at mine soon.
"I'm so proud of you" Delilah mumbled in my ear as they held me close. "Take care"
"You too" I let go of her and took Harrys hand before we headed to his car.
"LOVE YOU ZAHRA!" Arrow shouted. The others joined him, causing Harry and I to giggle.