Needing Comfort

Now that he was on his break Harry was usually home when i arrived in the evening, since he could easily schedule his meetings to be in the afternoon. Normally i was happy to have him to come home to but now that with us fighting... Instead of music, the smell of food or his open arms, i was greeted by Harry ignoring me from the moment i set foor into our apartment to when we fell asleep, he of course rather on the couch than in bed with me. And if he didn't ignore me than he made a mean remark on everything i did until he provoked me to react, which then in turn was his cue ro resume his yelling.
Maybe i was being dramatic, given that it was only three days so far, but i missed Harry terrible. The one he was only a week ago. With every word he yelled into my direction he broke my heart a little more and with every venomous look he gave me my stomach turned.

Today, i couldn't handle it.
Of course i was feeling down because of oura argument pretty much every hour of each day but so far my daily routine would a t least helped taking my mind off it. However my day hadn; t become better and instead turned into a complete miss. I returned home with a pounding head, and aching body and exhausted nerves. The last thing i could bear tonight was my boyfriendś cruel attitude of ignoring my until i gave him sone excuse to restart the argument.

I opened the door to the apartment with a trembling breath leaving my chest. My shaking fingers released the bag i was holding, then pushed off my thin jacket and then slipped out of my shoes, al the whole with tightly closed eyes as i willed myself not to cry.

Silence. Nothing.

I'd ling stopped expecting a kiss or a hug, but i didn't even get a hello now. Any other dat when i was upset Harry was there to comfort me from the moment we were reunited. He'd do anything to make me feel better, sometimes pamper me lik ei washis baby he needed to look after. I'd always feel better afterwards and with my boyfriend's warm shoulder to lean on it was easy to forget. Harry had always been my number one cure for a bad day.

Today, however, he didn't even say hi.

I saw him sitting on the couch when I quietly walked past the living room. His fingers were busy typing away on his computer resting on the coffee table and when he heard me pass him he made a point not to look up. Great.
My heart fell and my eyes watered, but instead of saying something like I knew he expected me to, I turned around and left for the bedroom. Don't give in, my mind whispered, don't give him a reason to freak out on you again. Not now.
My feet made a dragging sound when I excited the living room and my body flinched when Harry cleared his throat behind me.

"Oh, I had a great day, sweetheart. Thank you for asking," he spoke mockingly, but I ignored him and the sting in my chest.

Sweetheart. A nickname he normally used to affirm his feelings for me, not to taunt and humiliate me. It felt like a slap across the cheek and so my feet hurried to get distance between us.
Once I entered our bedroom I wasted no time and began to undress. My skin was covered in goosebumps when I stood in front of the wardrobe and I quickly changed into an old shirt and some pijama bottoms, both mine as I couldn't bear to wear his clothes tonight, before crawling into the cold bed. I pulled the covers up to my head and wrapped both arms around my frame.

Finally, I allowed myself to break down. Sobs made my shoulders shake and I had to press my fingers against my puffy lips to quieten my cries, not wanting Harry to hear me. He didn't need to know that I was feeling vulnerable, by the state of his mood he would probably use that to his advantage and taunt me further.
I cried until my eyes stung and the fingers I still held to my lips felt ice cold against my flushed cheeks.

I couldn't do this anymore. I was done.

My boyfriend probably hated me. He might even break up with me in the near future. It wouldn't even come as a surprise.
And after today, all my exhausted body needed was a break, but the upcoming exams required me to study, so technically I shouldn't allow myself to lay down now either. I couldn't afford taking time to myself, especially since I also had a job I needed to show up to.