Everything For You

Her heart was warm. When she opened the door to his home, the hallway was dark and the only light coming in and illuminating the living room and kitchen, was from the sun. It was barely enough to fight its way through the branches of the tree outside and she didn't quite like how the feeling of a home was missing. Part of it was to blame on his absence, that she was sure of, but she couldn't help worrying that Harry's flat didn't feel warmer when he was around. His heart was warm, too. But it wouldn't radiate enough to make his home cozy.

Y/N licked her lips. She dropped her coat by the door before walking down the hallway and into his kitchen where she set down her bag on the counter. She opened the purse, pulled out her blue music boxes and set them down, too, connected her phone via bluetooth and smiled when her boyfriend's soft voice began to sing.
It wasn't easy, giving his home a make over, and at times her stomach dropped and she worried momentarily if she was doing too much. Maybe he wouldn't appreciate coming back and finding his flat different than when he'd left it.
But Y/N tried not to worry. He had so far never quite minded when she'd brought him flowers, something sweet rather than healthy to snack on and he was especially happy when she set out those scented candles she'd introduced him to. Ones that fit well to the many he owned that reminded him of his mother's home, and that managed to give him a sense of his own home.

She hummed along to the music playing softly and lightly danced while placing the book she'd bought him the other week on the glass table in front of his couch, just before she added the article of a newspaper she'd read yesterday and had thought he might have liked it.
In the kitchen, Y/N replaced old foods with new ones that would still be good when he came home and bit back a giggle when she emptied a package of Haribo into his favorite coloured bowl, right next to the bowl she'd filled with dried apple slices.
Both would make him happy.

"Alright. I think this will be good."

In his bedroom, Y/N decided not to change too much. She imagined that since it was the room he kept the most tidy, he wouldn't appreciate if it were suddenly a big mess. She kept it simple and only placed three delicate flowers on his nightstand along with a note.

I love you, Har. Sleep well, rest, and let me know if when you want to see me. x

She would have wanted to wait for him, sit in his living room and watch his reaction to everything she'd done once he entered his home for the first time in months, but Y/N knew that sometimes people needed to breathe and be alone. So with one last glance at everything, she smiled, grabbed her coat and left, sure to keep her phone near in case he called.

The idea of decorating his flat and making it feel like a home had formed in her mind when he'd admitted that he didn't know if coming home would be nice. He would only get to stay very briefly before he'd be needed in America again and though he had made sure to remind her that seeing her was a highlight for him, he wasn't quite sure if it would be enough.
Y/N of course had made sure he was aware that he could always confide in her and that she was there for him, but it hadn't left her head and that was when she'd decided to do something nice, something that would have a smile appear on his face once he entered his home.

And she could practically feel it.
Harry stepped into his flat and smiled, no, he actually laughed because he noticed the difference before he'd even seen what exactly had changed. The place smelled of her. And it was still so very warm.
Once he did get to trace all her moves and what she'd done, Harry felt himself cry and reach for his phone.

"Harry."

"Hey," he shook his head in disbelief and dropped his stuff by the couch, "Y/N, I can't thank you enough."

She propped herself up on the mattress she was laying on and grinned proudly. "You're welcome. Was fun. And I didn't snoop around, I promise."

"You would've been allowed to anyway, don't worry."

He swallowed hard and made his way to the kitchen where he poured himself one of the teas she'd set out for him to make. They were herbal and on the packaging it read that they were supposed to calm down restless nerves.

"You're the best person in the world, love. You really are."

Hearing his voice, how lovingly he hummed the words, made her feel like she would burst. She'd missed him so much and her teeth sunk into the tender skin of her cheek as she tried to keep herself from crying.

"I hope you feel at home," she breathed, "that's the main thing to me,"

"I love you so much."

"Everything for you, Har. You should know that."

Harry let his eyes wander around his bedroom and it was enough to make his heart fly right out of his chest. It was perfect. Everything she'd done and he knew that the only thing missing was her.

"Please come here. I miss you so much."

He caught a tear slipping from his eyes and quickly brushed his hands off on his jeans.

"Are you su-"

"Yes, absolutely. Please come here. Need to... I don't know, I just need to see you right away. This... what you did is the possibly loveliest thing anyone has ever done."

Y/N took a deep breath and rolled off her bed, an overnight bag ready by the door since she had hoped with everything that this would be how he'd react.

"Okay," she agreed, "I'll be with you in a bit."

Harry grinned and brushed away the next couple tears rolling onto his cheeks. "Good, my love. Wonderful."

"I love you."

"I love you, too, Y/N. That I can guarantee you."