everything changed | angst (n.r.)

'You said nothing would change. But Nat everything changed,' 

Silent tears flowed down your face as you recalled the words Natasha always used to tell you. She would say this to reassure you and alleviate any fears you had. But they went from reassuring you to becoming your nightmare. 'Nothing will change' haunted you day and night. Especially they were all you had left of Natasha.

You and Natasha used to be inseparable but now you were lucky if she talked to you once a week. You don't hang out like you used to and it hurt. Every day you didn't talk it hurt you. The pain was becoming too much to handle. Natasha was your best friend and feeling like a second option to someone as important as she was to you wasn't a good feeling. 

Now you knew that whenever Natasha would reach out to you was when she was bored. You quickly saw a pattern in Natasha's actions. Whenever Wanda was away or not with Natasha or talking to Natasha, that's when Natasha would reach out and try to converse with you as if nothing ever happened between you two.

Natasha would easily still call you her best friend, even if she acts like you two barely know each other most of the time. Reading those words you would normally scoff and roll your eyes. How can she be your best friend and not see the way she's treating you. That the way you're being treated is hurting you deeply. Natasha has always been good at reading people, yet she can't read the person she considered to be her best friend.

You and Natasha had been close ever since you joined the avengers. You were an unstoppable duo on the field which led to a close friendship off the field. Soon enough you two became inseparable. Spending nearly all of your time together, making memories for only the two of you to remember.

'Nat stop,' you laughed out, which Natasha saw as an opportunity to shove popcorn into your mouth. You stopped laughing and grabbed for Natasha's hand. She tried to keep it away from you but you were eventually successful and held onto it tightly. Bringing it up to your mouth you emptied all of the popcorn out of your mouth. 

The look on Natasha's face was worth the risk of not being able to sleep peacefully without one eye always having to be on the lookout for a redhead seeking her revenge. Suddenly her glare turned into an evil smirk and you knew you had to make a run for it. Soon enough Natasha was chasing you throughout the compound. Both of you with wide smiles, even when she caught you and tickled you until you couldn't breath.

With you running out of breath and Natasha eventually running out of effort, you ended up laying on the floor next to each other. You turned your head to look at Natasha to see her already looking at you.

'I love you, Y/N/N,'

'I love you too, Nat,'

You wouldn't have this any other way. You wouldn't want to do this with anyone other then Natasha. You were thankful to have her as your best friend.

Memories were all you had. Memories of happier times, when Natasha made the time for you. When she treated you like you were her best friend and not some acquaintance she works with. You were laying on your bed scrolling through all of your photos that Natasha featured in. 

Just like those words these memories also haunted your thoughts. As long as you were awake to think, your mind flooded itself with painful memories. You and Natasha used to stay up until 2am listening to each others playlists, watching movies and talking. One of your many 2ams that you shared with Natasha you managed to set off the fire alarm and wake everyone up. From that day Wanda banned you both from the kitchen.

'Did you see the look on Wanda's face' You laughed, 'I'm surprised she still has a head after all that steam coming from it,' You collapsed in Natasha's arms in a fit of laughter.

'I'm surprised you still have a head. She could've easily made you disappear right then and there,' Natasha laughed along with you. Though you stopped laughing when you noticed your best friend deep in thought. You tapped her arm and raised your eyebrow once you gained her attention.

'Do you think Wanda likes me?' Natasha sighed out. You eyes widened before your mouth formed a smirk.

'I knew you liked Wanda,' you wiggled your eyebrows at Natasha, earning a glare from your best friend.

'Seriously though Y/N/N,' Natasha looked away from you, you hadn't seen her act this way so you knew Natasha really liked Wanda.

'Nat, who wouldn't like you. You're smart, talented, you are amazing and such a kind and genuine person. And not to mention you are insanely attractive,' You winked at Natasha causing her to hit your shoulder and unintentionally blush at your comment, 'Seriously though have you not seen the way Wanda looks at you. Did you not see how angry she got with me, but with you she was barely even upset with you and you made the most mess,' Natasha smiled and gave you a tight hug.

'You're the best Y/N/N. And I promise if anything between Wanda and I happen, nothing between us will change,'

Wanda. You couldn't help but grimace every time you thought of her. You felt bad, none of this was her fault even if you did try and make yourself believe it was her fault. But you knew it was entirely Natasha's fault. Though it didn't make you not hate her. 

When you saw Natasha and Wanda together there was a scowl that wouldn't leave your face. To anyone else you must look like you're jealous that Wanda had Natasha in the way you wanted. But the truth was, you just wanted your best friend back. You wanted your best friend to treat you like a friend again.

You wanted those late nights where you talked about nothing until the sun came up. You wanted those moments on missions where you'd smile and give each other a thumbs up when you caught each others gaze. 

'You know, you hurt me when you didn't tell me you were moving,' You had moved away from the avengers compound. The pain had become too much, and you didn't see a point in staying when Natasha didn't speak to you anymore. Natasha was the one who wanted you to move into the compound so you could be close to each other at all times.

'I hurt you,' You laughed, 'You've been hurting me for months, Natasha,' You weren't happy Natasha had come over uninvited and she lately she always knew how to sour your mood, 'why do you think I moved anyway?' 

'Y/N/N, I don't understand, you're my best friend,' Natasha was surprised at your confession. She hadn't noticed any changes in your friendship or with you. 

'Stop calling me your best friend. You don't even treat me like a friend anymore. I had to get away from you, and now you're here,' frustrated you ran your hands through your hair, 'You said nothing would change. But Nat everything changed,' You walked over to your front door and silently opened it, 'You can't even see it. I can't trust you anymore, you made these promises you couldn't keep,' Natasha had given up. She let you have the last word and silently walked out of the door and essentially out of your life as a friend and soon with your transfer she'll be out of your life completely.

You wanted Natasha to be in your life so you kept trying. Though your efforts were always met with minimal effort back from her. As hard as it is at the time, you have to do what's right and let yourself walk away.