is that my shirt? | fluff (n.r.)

You and Natasha were in a fairly new relationship. Both being avengers and knowing you might have to go long periods of time without seeing each other, you were taking it day by day. The pair of you were inseparable before making it official not that long ago.

The last month had been a dream. One that you didn't want to wake up from but you knew that reality would come crashing down on both of you sooner rather than later. For the last month you and Natasha were able to spend some quality, uninterrupted time together. No missions, no reports or paperwork, just the two of you. During this time your relationship was able to grow and become stronger.

As long as you had Natasha in your life you knew you would be able to face whatever would be thrown at you. Though your time together was quickly taken away from you when Natasha was called saying she had a briefing for a mission. A mission that would take at least a few months, meaning a few months without your Natasha.

Some days were easier to manage then others. You thought you were doing alright until a few months in and you were facing another depressive episode. You hadn't had one in a while so when this one came along, it hit you harder than normal. You tried to not let it show, during the day you would surround yourself around your friends, smile, laugh and pretend to be happy. But when you were alone at night, that's when you would crumble.

You never told anyone about your depression, you hadn't even told Natasha yet. You figured you could hold yourself and get yourself through it. Though surviving each night, especially lately, was like an olympic sport. You knew you found comfort being in Natasha's arms, breathing in her scent and listening to her heartbeat would always make you feel safe and wanted. But right now you didn't have that, so you settled for the next best thing.

You rummaged through Natasha's wardrobe and found one of her favourite shirts. Lucky for you, it still smelled like her. You instantly put it on and though it wasn't Natasha, you still felt comfort from it. You knew you wouldn't sleep so you put on a movie while you let your thoughts take over.

At some point

'Natasha?' You were surprised to see her home this early but you weren't complaining.

'I finished early and I wanted to surprise you,' Natasha came and sat next to you on the bed, her eyes squinting at the shirt you were wearing, 'is that my shirt?' she tilted her head and raised an eyebrow.

'Is...is that okay?' You started to panic, not knowing if it was too early on to wear her clothes. Your eyes start to well up with tears, since you were already on the verge of crying before her arrival, 'I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have. But you weren't here and I've been so low lately I just needed comfort and you bring me comfort and-' You were cut off by Natasha's lips on your own. You instantly melted and felt your worries wash away.

Natasha pulled away and held your head in her hands, wiping away the tears as they fell from your eyes, 'You're feeling low? Oh darling, I'm sorry I wasn't here for you. You can always steal my clothes, never think otherwise. Whatever helps you to feel comfort and to feel safe while I can't physically be here for you,' Natasha pulled you into her embrace. Her shirt helped you but it would never be as good as being wrapped up in her arms. You heard Natasha's heartbeat and closed your eyes trying to let the negative thoughts fade, 'Plus you look so cute in my clothes, you should always wear them,'

'I love you Natty. Will you braid my hair like yours?' You smiled up at Natasha, you just wanted an excuse to feel her hands in your hair. The ultimate comfort that would help send you to sleep, something you needed to catch up on.

'Of course detka. I love you too, forever and always,'