cake failure | fluff + comfort (n.r.)

summary: Natasha just wanted to surprise you but it doesn't go her way

____________________________

Natasha groaned in frustration as she pulled the cake out of the oven. The outside was burnt but the inside was like soup. Looking like it hadn't just been in the oven for over an hour. She ran her hands over her face, this was already her fourth attempt at baking a cake for you.

It was your birthday and Natasha just wanted to do something special for you. It was the least she could do after everything you have done and continue to do for her. If Natasha was being honest, you were her rock. The one who could instantly calm her down and talk her through panic attacks. The one who could bring her the utmost comfort and warmth just by being around you and in your embrace.

You did so much for Natasha, more than you would ever know. So it made her that little bit more upset when she couldn't get any of the cakes right. She knew she was running out of time before you would wake up. But she was out of ideas on how she could make a cake that was as special as you.

Sitting on the kitchen floor, knees to her chest and her hands covering her face. That's how you found her. You had come searching for Natasha after you had woken up to an empty bed. There was this feeling within you that something wasn't quite right. You were glad that you trusted your gut feeling and searched for her, though your heart dropped at the sight of her. 

'Nat, is everything okay?' You carefully sat down next to her, wrapping your arm around her shoulders and pulling her into your embrace.

'Detka,' Natasha sighed out and looked up towards you, 'I'm sorry,' She turned so she was cuddling fully into you. Holding on to you as tight as she could.

'Wait, babe, why are you sorry?' You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion as you rubber her back. Hoping the back rubs would help her calm down, enough that is would ground her back to you. Enough so she could tell you what was going on.

'I tried to bake a cake for you,' You raised your eyebrows in surprise at her words. Natasha wasn't known for her cooking or baking abilities. You honestly thought she would've gone a different route to surprise you for your birthday, 'But I keep messing up. None of them are good enough or special enough for you,'

'Hey, hey it's okay. Come here, it's okay,' You could feel her start to work herself up again. So you pulled her even closer to you to try and prevent a further breakdown from occurring.

'I just wanted to do something for you that was as special as you. It's your birthday and I wanted something to reflect how much you mean to me,' You pulled away and brought your hands up to cup her face. Rubbing your thumbs over her cheeks, you placed a small kiss on her lips. You know how she's been taught to deal with her emotions. In which you knew it was important for you to continue to shower her with affection. Pulling away would only let her mind continue to tell her that she isn't deserving of love and affection, even though Natasha was more than deserving.

'Anything that comes from you is special enough for me. Whether it's something tangible or not. Even your thoughts of doing something for me is so special,' Looking into her eyes you smiled softly, 'I think it's really cute and sweet that despite your lack of baking skills, you still tried to make something for me,'

'You really think so?' Natasha's voice was small. there was only so many times Natasha would let you see this side of her. You cherished all your moments with her, but these ones were rare and were a bit more special to you. You know that no one else gets to see her or help her like this, 'But I wanted to make this for you and to make the whole day special,' 

'Nat, listen to me, any day that I get to spend with you is already a special day. Why don't we make a cake together?' You suggested. Between you and Natasha, you were definitely the better baker. And she could use all the help you could give her. Also it meant you would get to spend quality time with your girlfriend.

'Are you sure about that? You shouldn't have to make your own birthday cake,'

'Are you kidding me? I would love to bake with you! It would be so much fun, and I can teach you everything I know,' You really did think that baking with Natasha would be a fun way to spend your birthday. It was something that you had never done together, and trying something new you found was always fun.

You were right. Baking for fun with Natasha was the highlight of your day. After you pulled Natasha up from the kitchen floor, you started on making the cake. Now before the cake got the chance to even make it into the oven, you and Natasha were laying on the kitchen floor covered in flour.

Which all started when Natasha thought messing with you would make it even more fun. Natasha dipped her hand in the bag of flour without you noticing. As you leaned over the counter to look at the recipe, her hand came down firmly on your ass. Laughing, she took her hand away, satisfied with the handprint she had left on your sweats.

Slightly stunned expression turned into laughing and shaking your head when Natasha showed you the photo of her handiwork. Wanting to get revenge you grabbed some flour and when she turned around, you quickly put your hand above her head. Dropping the flour on top of Natasha's head.

Natasha's eyes went wide before a smirk took over her face. She grabbed a handful of flour, and before you knew it, flour was flying between you two and all over the kitchen. Only laughter could be heard from the kitchen.

Once you ran out of flour, you opted for other options. Knowing Natasha is ticklish you cornered her, wiggling your fingers, 'No, Y/N!' Natasha tried to plead with you before you attacked her, tickling her down to the kitchen floor.

You granted her mercy, falling on top of her in fits of laughter, 'Today has already been the best day, and it isn't even midday yet!' You exclaimed, trying to catch your breath after the non-stop laughing.

'I'm glad you're having a great day detka,' Natasha smiled turning onto her side to look at you, 'Happy birthday, love,' She cupped your face and kissed you gently. You got lost in each other, enjoying being close to her. You even forgot about the flour that covered you both.

'Wanda would have a meltdown if she saw the state of her kitchen,' You laughed out once you pulled away.

'Should be careful or we'll be put in a hex,' Natasha stood up, offering her hand to help you to your feet. Holding you by your waist, stealing more kisses from you.

'As long as we're in that hex together,'