puppy love | fluff (n.r.)

You were rushing around the kitchen trying to make sure everything was going as planned. Natasha was coming over to your apartment for the first time since you started dating. Natasha would've loved to have come over a lot earlier in your relationship but at the time you started dating Natasha was busy with mission after mission. You would turn up at the compound whenever she had some free time, it wasn't much but it was enough for the two of you.

You were always welcomed at the compound, even when Natasha wasn't there. You got to be close to the rest of the team quite quickly, keeping them company when no one else was around. You were never lonely waiting for Natasha to return. Some days the others would tell you that she was returning and those days you also had off of work you would race down to surprise Natasha after her mission, taking care of her.

For the first time, Natasha had more time off than just a few hours. Almost a week to be exact and she planned to spend all of that time with you, to make up for the time when the two of you couldn't be together. 

'Y/N/N calm down. Stop worrying about everything,' Kate's voice came through your phone, causing you to stop momentarily and look down at your best friend who you had on FaceTime.

'Kate, everything has to be perfect. If it's not perfect then-'

'Y/N. Stop,' Kate interrupted you before you started spiralling further in your panicked state, 'Everything will be fine. Natasha loves you and one thing going wrong, not that anything will go wrong, but if it does then she's not going to stop loving you. That girl adores you, everyone can see it. I may or may not have heard from a little birdie whose name begins with C that she doesn't stop talking about you,' You processed everything Kate was saying to you, your heart rate decreasing as you calmed down.

'Yeah, you're right. I'm just being silly,' You nodded, more to yourself to continue to believe that you're overthinking everything, 'I'm just so nervous, Natasha mentioned about potentially moving in together soon away from the compound. I want to make sure she still wants to after tonight,' 

'There would be nothing that could happen tonight for Natasha to decide not to move in with you,' Sighing, you knew Kate was right. There was one thing you hadn't told Natasha about yet and that thing was currently pawing at your feet trying to attack as if they were out to get them, 'Now go finish getting ready she's going to be there soon,' With that you hung up the phone, leaving the food on the stovetop to simmer on low, while you went to get changed out of your pyjamas. 

The knock on your door startled you. You had your music playing and you were dancing around your kitchen which almost made you miss the knock. Almost tripping on your way to open the door, your nerves making it almost difficult to walk, you made it and were greeted with your favourite smile as Natasha gave you a bottle of wine followed by a quick kiss and a long hug. The hug would've been longer but your puppy decided to make her appearance by running towards Natasha at full speed. Not being able to stop your puppy ran into Natasha's legs almost knocking her over.

You grabbed Natasha's hand, steading her while you tried to calm down the overly excited dog jumping on Natasha, 'Nat I'm sorry. Willow inside,' finally succeeding in getting everyone back into your apartment and closing your door without Willow escaping. You placed the wine on the kitchen counter, turning back to see Natasha leaning down, giving Willow all the attention she wanted.

'I didn't know you had a dog,' Natasha looked towards you smiling, her eyebrows in a slight furrow confused as to why you hadn't mentioned Willow before.

'Oh, I got her while you were away recently,' Natasha had been on a month long, no contact mission. You would've told her earlier but figured since she got back last night and you were seeing her today then you would just wait, 'Well I mean someone in the building didn't want her anymore and was taking her to the pound so I stepped in and took her in. I mean look at that face and tell me how anyone could give up on that face,' you made face at Willow, she wagged her tail and tried to lick you as you squished her small puppy face.

'Did they have a reason?' Natasha stood up and crossed her arms. You knew how she felt towards people not having a reason and thinking that animals are disposable. 

'Apparently she's not friendly and reactive. But she's only a puppy and I haven't had any problems with her. She's been socialising well with other dogs and started puppy school last week,' You were proud of Willow already, she was a smart and friendly puppy and you were glad you could give her the life she deserves to live. Glad you got to her before she had made it to the pound. In just a few weeks she had become an important part of your life, you would do anything for her.

'Wow I've been gone for that long,' Natasha realised just how much could change in a short amount of time. You nodded, smiling, thankful that Natasha wasn't upset and seemed to like Willow already, 'Do you need any help?' Natasha pointed to the stove where your pot was nearly overflowing. You made it known that you didn't want Natasha anywhere near the kitchen. That you wanted to do everything for her. Natasha knew to make herself at home so you could focus on the task at hand.

Every now and then you would look up and see Natasha playing with Willow. Natasha found the basket of toys you kept for Willow and one by one every single toy ended up out of the basket and on the floor somewhere around your apartment. You couldn't help but smile at the scene in front of you. Natasha would throw a toy, Willow would run after it and pick it up. Looking like she would bring it back to Natasha but instead drops it and tackles Natasha. 

Your back turned you could hear your favourite sound, Natasha's laughter, as Willow attacked her with lots of licks to the face. Willow received lots of belly rubs and love with Natasha around. Natasha was falling in love with the newest addition to your little family, almost as fast as she fell in love with you. 

You were finishing serving dinner onto the plates when suddenly it had gone quiet, almost too quiet. Turning around and about to leave the kitchen to see what was going on, your heart melted at what you saw. You couldn't keep the smile off of your face as Natasha sat on your couch holding Willow. Willow had her head on Natasha's shoulder and you could tell that Willow had fallen asleep.

Natasha noticed you watching the two of them and made a face at you to not come closer, 'Shh, she's sleeping I don't want to wake her,' Natasha gave Willow a small kiss on the top of her head while looking at Willow with so much love in her eyes. You were looking at Natasha the same way. You didn't think you could love Natasha anymore than you already did, but seeing how she was with Willow you were wrong. Your heart had grown an insane amount, still not nearly big enough to fit the love you held for your two favourite girls.

It was this moment that you knew Natasha would be in your life for a long time, hopefully forever. Tonight you realised that you didn't just love Natasha. She was the one for you. You were in love with Natasha and you wouldn't trade it for the world.