happy new year | fluff + angst (n.r.)

Summary: You come back to bring back some life, happiness and hope. Though a lot can change between new years eve 2022 and new years eve 2023

Warnings: Endgame canon, Nat dies :( (not a written scene but it follows endgame so obviously, sorry), angst !!

--------------------------------------

December 1st 2022

'Nat,' Her head shot up, eyes widened slightly when they met yours. Your voice was faint, barely a whisper. It felt wrong to speak louder considering the silence that took over the compound. The only sound you could hear walking through were muffled sobs and your own footsteps.

'You...you came back,' Natasha's voice croaked, spending more time stifling and holding back sobs than it did speaking. Worried that you were nothing more than a figment of her imagination she stood up and walked towards you.

You were confused at first but instantly melted into her touch when her hand touched your face. A feeling you had missed. Not wanting to admit but once you left the compound at the start of this year, you spent the entire year missing Natasha.

'I'm sorry for leaving,' Your confession was genuine and Natasha could see how badly you felt, especially seeing her in the state she's in now. She needed you more than ever yet you left her.

'Shh, it's okay. I understand,' While it was hard watching and letting you go, she understood more than you ever thought, 'What's it like out there anyway?' It had been some time since she's properly left and gone outside. Nothing felt the same anymore, her old routine and activities she enjoyed doing were a constant reminder of everything and everyone she was missing.

'It's...okay. Nothing how it used to be, but life is still moving forward,' You didn't know how to clear the awkward tension in the room. The feeling of walking on eggshells, especially around Natasha, was the reason you left. But outside it felt cold and you hadn't felt more alone than you had for the last 11 months. If you were going to be alone, you might as well be alone with someone you love, 'Let me make it up to you Nat,'

Natasha let you back in. It didn't take a lot. You were both lonely but together you both felt less hopeless. The past month you really saw how she had been holding up. You playfully fought with her how peanut butter sandwiches just wasn't enough, and sure enough you ended up with a few playfully thrown at your head. Little by little you could see a bit of light coming back into her eyes. You learned her new routine and helped her get through each day.

Everything was going as good as it could be, until a few days out from the new year. To Natasha the start of another year reminded her that she had once again failed to bring everyone back. As silly as it was she would still write a new year's resolution for herself. It was something she had always done, especially throughout her years in the red room to give herself a semblance of hope. Normally they were attainable and goals in which she could use to better herself. Though the past few years her only goal, 'to bring everyone back', seemed to be her only unattainable goal. Making her feel less than enough. Though she'd never tell you that since she knows you'd only beat yourself up over leaving new years day, almost a year ago now.

Natasha really did forgive you for leaving. Everything was hard and everyone knew and understood that. Everyone was trying to find some sort of peace in the new world they were all living in. So it made sense that you left, to try and find peace away from the place that only seemed to cause pain. She could never hate you for it, which is why it was so easy for her to let you back in again. Also bringing everyone back seemed impossible so why would she shut out the only person that still wants to be there.

'Hey Natty, what've you got there?' You walked into her office noticing she was staring at a piece of paper. Walking behind, you leaned down to wrap your arms around her. Resting your head on her shoulder you gave her cheek a little kiss before reading the words laid in front, 'New year's resolutions...' You whispered out, furrowing your eyebrows when nothing else had been written down.