love she couldn't give | angst (w.m.)

Summary: You loved Wanda. Unfortunately for you, she was afraid to love you

_______________________________________

Phone in hand, you stared at the screen until the light faded. To anyone else it looked like you were watching the time, trying to work out whether it was an acceptable time you could leave the gala you were at. But if anyone were to ask you the time, you wouldn't be able to tell them. The time wasn't even on your mind as you peered down. You knew what you were waiting for. Whether you would get it, you weren't going to set your hopes that high.

A message from Wanda is what you were waiting for. Honestly, you were waiting for any crumb of attention that Wanda would give to you. The two of you became close really fast. Some would say too fast. But you would say the opposite and always wished that you had met her years earlier. Hitting it off as if you had known each other for as long as either of you could remember. You considered Wanda to be your best friend and hoped she had seen you that way. Recent events would suggest she didn't even think of you in any way.

You let yourself get too attached again, typical you. You couldn't help it, Wanda seemed different. Like she didn't come with a box full of empty and broken promises to follow. And don't forget she kept the knife, the one she used to stab your heart, completely hidden from your view. Unfortunately for you, Wanda was exactly like everyone else that had come and gone, leaving you feeling completely hopeless and used. She took you in with a false sense of security, promising you nothing but the best. Leaving you when you least expected it, like you were nothing to her.

Oh how you wished her promises lasted longer than a month. You confided in her, you trusted her. Even left friendships for her after she claimed that she didn't like how they were treating you. Telling you that you could do better with just her. But now the only thing you were left with was how stupid you felt for believing in her. You once again opened your heart, and once again you wished that you hadn't. Since then you promised yourself that this would be the last time you closed it, to never open it for anyone else again.

You sighed. All you wanted was at least a message. It had been two weeks since Wanda stopped replying to your messages. Two weeks since she stopped interacting with you altogether. Everyone felt the tension in the compound, but no one knew how to approach the topic. Anyone could see how close you and Wanda appeared to be. Everyone, media and the general public included, thought the pair of you were together.

You thought everything was fine as well. Now here you were, at a gala surrounded by so many people, yet you felt the most alone. All you wanted was her. Even if she didn't want you anymore. It didn't take you long before you left the gala. But not before you glance in Wanda's direction. She was smiling and having fun. Maybe what she really needed was to get rid of you.

Since the gala you started to notice how Wanda interacted with the rest of the team. And how it was all the same as before. When you took note of this, your mind wasn't kind to you at all. Without a proper explanation, all of your pent up anger and frustration, you directed it all back onto yourself. You couldn't work out what to be angry about when it came to Wanda but you knew everything that was wrong with you. You just couldn't work out what happened or what you did for Wanda to suddenly started treating you like you didn't exist.

'Wands, stop!' You exclaimed through your laughter. You were helping Wanda bake and decorate a cake to surprise Natasha for her birthday. And by help, you watched as Wanda did all the work while you occasionally tried to sneak some batter or icing, claiming you were 'taste testing'.

'That's what thieves deserve,' Wanda watched as you tried to get rid of all the icing she put on your face. But being Wanda, for every bit you wiped off, she would put more on.