nightmares | hurt/comfort + fluff (n.r.)

It was another sleepless night. Another night where you'd wake up not being able to breath and being struck with fear. The fear was almost paralysing, almost too much for you to take. The nightmares were back, ever since you found out your parents had been released. Since then you haven't been able to sleep, all you can think about is them finding you and taking you away from this life you've built.

It took you years to get yourself into a place where you thought you were fine. Just for you to end up back where you started. Constant nightmares, sleepless nights and the fear of thinking about them or seeing them again. You looked over to see Natasha sleeping peacefully next to you. You felt guilty, she didn't deserve all the baggage you held, all the trauma from your past.

Though just seeing her there next to you was always enough to calm your thoughts. When she rolls over and cuddles into your side in her sleep, your body relaxes and you're instantly reminded that you'll be okay. That Natasha and the rest of the team will go to any lengths to keep you safe.

The comfort in the reassurance helps you fall back asleep, holding Natasha close to you. 'Y/N? Y/N/N...' sleep didn't take over your body for long, you were woken in a panic with Natasha calling for you. But you couldn't hear her, all your could hear was ringing in your ears while you gasped for air trying to breathe again. Natasha instantly sat you up, rubbing your back and brushing your hair out of your face.

'...Nightmares again?' you nodded your head as the tears silently rolled down your face. Times like this you didn't know how to feel, you were emotionally exhausted, you felt numb, 'it's about them isn't it?' Natasha didn't have to say their names for the both of you to understand the topic of your nightmares.

'I'm just scared, what if they come back? What if they find me and take me again? I'm not strong enough to handle everything a second time around. And I never want to be away from you or the team,'

'Y/N/N, look at me, listen to me when I say you have nothing to worry about. I know what they did to you, I'll never forgive them. Just look at where we are, you are safe here with us. With me,' Natasha softly held your face in her hands, gently stroking her thumbs to wipe the tears that kept falling, 'they can't hurt you anymore,' A simple sentence had you breaking down into the arms of Natasha.

You knew she was right. You were safe. These nightmares and memories are just that. They'll never be anything more again. You looked up at Natasha and smiled. You hadn't genuinely smiled in weeks but Natasha holding you always made everything feel better. You know that no matter what happens you'll always have her.

'Try to sleep, detka. Wake me if you need me, okay? I'll be right here when you wake up. I love you,'