two

When they took me downstairs to get checked out, tears were still falling, just not as rapidly. My head continued to pound as they aided me in sitting down on a small chair in the room. My eyes were sore from crying and my face was soaked with fat, salty tears. I wanted to go home. I hated the fact that I even left the house in the first place. Why couldn't I just stay in for my birthday? Why didn't I just refuse the tickets, and tell Julia to go with her boyfriend?

"Hi Savannah, I'm here to test you. It looks like you sustained an injury from Seguin's pass and I'm gonna check you out real quick, if you don't mind?" A young man who looked about in his thirties came into the room. He had a plastic bag full of ice and water and handed it to me. I immediately grabbed it and shoved it onto my forehead. The cool feeling relieved a small portion of the pain.

"How do you know my name?" I said sniffling, still holding the ice on my head. The man was a brunette and had blue eyes, and was wearing a Stars hoodie. He turned and smiled.

"Your sister told me" he said getting a small flashlight out of a drawer. "Julia right?" He clicked it on and off.

"Yeah. She's the one who brought me here. She took me for my birthday, which is so conveniently today." I rolled my eyes. Pain ensued. I winced. "I actually previously had tickets to the game tonight, but sold them. Go figure right?" I sniffed.

The man flashed the light in my eyes. "Why'd you sell them?"

"We suck."

He laughed. "Not a loyal fan, huh?" He put the flashlight away and checked the time. "Okay Savannah, I need you to do a couple of activities for me. First I need you to follow my finger." He lifted his long index finger up and smiled. "Ready?"

"Yeah, I guess."

He started moving his finger and my eyes followed. When I moved my eyes, I instantly got a throb of sharp pain in my head. "Fuck," I grabbed my head. I heard him laugh. "I'm sorry." I said looking up.

"Did that hurt you?" He asked.

"Yeah, a lot. It's like... I can't move my eyes without feeling a throb of pain in my head. Like my eyes are strained or something." I messed with the bag of ice in my hand. Outside the room, I started to hear a bunch of rustling around. I glanced out the door and saw a bag being thrown down and shirtless men covered in pads enter the room. The first period must have ended by the sounds of tape ripping and soft thuds of skates hitting the carpet. My ears started ringing at a high pitch sound, and I started to feel dizzy. I stared at the ground.

What the hell is going on?

"Savannah."

"Huh?" I looked up. The physician was holding out a clipboard with a piece of paper attached and a pen.

"Did you hear me? I said take this quiz really quick. It'll help us see if the puck caused you to sustain any brain damage." He handed me the clipboard

"No. Oh man, I blacked out. Sorry." I began on the quiz. He gave me a worried glance.

"I'll be back." He said, leaving the room and shutting the door. I sighed as I began the quiz. It consisted of yes or no questions that I uneasily checked mostly yes to.

Do you have a headache?

Yes.

Are you feeling off-balanced or odd coordinated?

Yup.

This continued for about 5 minutes, but was hard to concentrate due to the Stars coach barking his expectations for the second period at the players. I finished the last question of the quiz little after I heard clapping in the next room.

The door then opened shortly afterwards and in came the physician and a shirtless Stars player.

"How are you Savannah?" The physician smiled.

"I'm done." I said, eyeing the shirtless player. He was tall, muscular, and had both of his crossed arms covered in sleeves. He looked familiar.

"Great." Mr. Physician Man took the clipboard from me and sat it on a table. "We'll check this out and let you know the results as soon as tomorrow morning."

"Who's this guy." I said motioning towards the player staring at me. He laughed.

"Oh, that's Tyler. The one who got you in this predicament. He insisted on coming back to say something to you." The physician said. Tyler dragged a stool next to me on my left and sat down. His eyes were dark and serious as he cleared his throat.

"Yeah, I um, I just wanted to say I'm sorry." He started. He sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "Shots like those rarely ever happen, and the fact that it happened to you tonight, I just want to apologize for it. If you're in need of surgery or anything, I'm willing to pay for all the hospital bills and everything. I'll do anything. You shouldn't have to carry a burden due to my foolish mistake." His voice was deep and soothing, and suddenly I forgot about the pain in my head. Tyler was still looking into my eyes.

"I don't think surgery is going to be needed," the physician said cracking a laugh. "But that's nice of you Segs. By the way Savannah, I need you to write your contact info down on the back of this." He handed me the quiz back and flipped the side over.

"Yeah, of course" I said, turning away from Tyler. He was resting his arms next to me on the chair. I could still feel his eyes on me as I scrawled my phone number and address onto the paper. I handed it to Tyler and he looked confused.

"You're not supposed to give it to me." He laughed, showing an attractive smile. "Give it to Ed." He said.

"Who?" I said. Who the hell is Ed?

"Ed? Right in front of you?" Tyler looked even more confused.

"Oh, yeah." I handed Ed the paper. "You never told me your name."

"I didn't?" Ed said looking over the paperwork.

"Nope." I slid of the chair and began to leave the room. I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible.

"Well, my bad Savannah." Ed said as he laughed. Tyler began getting suited for the 2nd period when he hurried and opened the door for me.

"Your names Savannah?" He asked quietly, still holding the door.

"Yeah."

He smiled. "That's a beautiful name."

I could feel my face burning. "Thanks, I guess." I started to leave.

"I'll see you around, yeah?" Tyler called. He was pulling his jersey on over his pads, and ran his hands through his sweaty hair.

"Maybe." I grinned. I left the locker room and found my sister, who, somehow found a way to the locker ion and was waiting for me as I got tested. She freaked out when she saw me, and I calmed her down by telling her that I wanted to go home as soon as possible.