sixty two

I woke up underneath of a familiar huge arm squeezing me around my neck. My eyes opened slowly and I saw Tyler's red face that was fast asleep. He was leaving me today. Again. I continued to stare at him for a couple of more minutes before dozing off myself.

-

I woke up again and I was alone in bed. The room was much brighter than it was when I woke up last time. I sat up quickly, looking for Tyler around the room.

"I'm right here Sav."

I looked towards my left and saw Tyler in the bathroom, wrapping a tie around his neck. His hair was disheveled like it usually was in the morning, falling in different directions. He must've been getting ready for his flight tonight to Arizona, in preparation for the game that would be taking place tomorrow.

"How are you today?" Tyler asked, tightening his tie before walking out of the bathroom. He looked silly; his hair was wild yet he was dressed well. "You had a bit of a rough night you know."

I nodded in response, not really in the mood to say anything. I couldn't control myself last night. It physically pained me to imagine myself without him for two days. I've never felt this way in the past, so why now? I've gone multiple days without seeing Tyler plenty of times, but now? I didn't want to experience it.

My typical annoyance with Tyler was now shifted to myself; I was angry and disgusted with my actions. I wasn't a child. So why was I acting like one? The familiar feeling of conflicted emotions started bubbling within me again. I needed a mental detox, something to get my mind off of me and Tyler. Something I could focus on.

"Sav?" Tyler said placing a hand on my shoulder. "You good?"

I nodded again, laying back down in bed and turning around so that my back was facing Tyler. I was becoming awfully tired of myself; tired of my own thoughts and desires. How can you escape your body when that's all you can control?

"So you've decided to be quiet today, huh?" Tyler said heading back into the bathroom.

"I didn't decide anything." I spat. Tyler turned the light off in the bathroom and grabbed his jacket from the bed.

He flung it around his broad shoulders and sighed. "Sav, I don't think you're going to be okay staying here by yourself for two days." He nudged my leg when I didn't respond. "Savannah."

"Yes, Tyler." I groaned out.

"You're not staying here by yourself." His father mode was activated, and I could tell it wasn't going to subside for a while.

"There's no where else for me to go." I mumbled into the covers.

There was a pause before Tyler started shuffling around. I was too tired to look up and see what plan he was coming up with. He was calling someone; it was quiet enough in the room to hear their phone ringing. "Hello?" The other line answered.

"Hey man, are you busy today? I could use a huge favor." Tyler said. "Listen, if you can't do it, I understand but if you could swing by and maybe stay at my house for a day or two, and watch Savannah, that'd be great."

It was obvious he wasn't talking to my sister, so whoever he was speaking to would be fine with me.

"Really? Thanks man, it means a lot. You sure? Okay, cool. Yeah. Alright, see ya." Tyler hung up and made his way to my side of the bed, and sat down.

I peeked from beneath the covers to show him that I was not planning on completely disregarding him today.

"My friend Jesse, the one who's house I was over last night is gonna come by for the next couple of days to make sure you're okay." He gave me a sympathetic look.

"I don't even know him."

Tyler rolled his eyes. "He's a nice guy Sav, trust me."

I yanked the cover back over my head.

Tyler got up from the bed while sighing, and left the room. He didn't tell me where he was going.

-

I woke up again, unable to remember how and when I fell asleep. Tyler was shaking my shoulder with a hard jerk. As a reflex, I hit his arm causing him to grab it in response.

"Can you stop fucking hitting me?" He cried out.

I yanked the cover off of my head and saw him and another young guy standing next to him. His hair was pushed back with a small, plastic black headband and was tied into a small ponytail in the back. He had on a typical hockey branded t-shirt, with a pair of grey sweatpants. "Jesse's here." Tyler said pointing at him.

I smiled, sitting up and pushing my hair back. "Hi, I'm Savannah. But you probably already know that." I stuck my hand out and he shook it, smiling.

"Well like I said earlier, he's gonna watch over you while I'm gone. And if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask." Tyler bent down and gave me a quick kiss. "I'll see you around, princess."

He walked across the room, got his luggage and headed downstairs. Some part of me wanted to follow, but another made me refuse.

All I knew was that that would be the last time I saw Tyler's face, for what would feel like an eternity.