fifty six

"So you want a bachelorette party, just one without male strippers and all of that other stuff?"

"I wouldn't necessarily consider it a bachelorette party."

"So then what would you call it?"

"I dunno.. an outing?"

I sighed as passively as I could. Here I was- two essays due by tomorrow and a test I had to study for, but instead of doing what was needed, I was helping my sister out.

Julia was stuck on whether or not she wanted a bachelorette party, but I honestly believed she didn't even know what a bachelorette party actually was. 'One without male strippers, but I still want to get drunk' was the overall theme she was going for.

"So then why don't you just let me book it at like a bar or a club or something?" I said, rubbing my eyes underneath of my glasses. My irritation level was rising as usual, and the sound of the clock ticking across the room wasn't helping.

Julia gave me a leery glance. "A club is too shady for me, and a bar is too... basic."

I rubbed my eye more ferociously. "How is a club shady?"

"They have strippers."

I pursed my lips as I sifted through the many reactions I could spring on my sister. "Not all clubs have strippers, you know. I could easily find one around here that can cater to your needs."

Julia smiled. "Yeah, I'm sure that won't be hard with the boyfriend you have, right?" She let out a small laugh.

I glared at her as I heard Tyler laugh from the kitchen. I must've missed the memo for when insulting someone actually became humorous.

"I'm sure you couldn't wait to use that one, could you?" I said with a sarcastic smile. Julia sucked her teeth and slapped my knee playfully.

"I'm just kidding 'sis, jeez." She said standing up. "Listen, since you look like you're about to take my head off, you surprise me. Book whatever you want to book, but no male strippers, okay?"

I nodded, keeping my mouth shut to avoid saying anything I'd regret. Julia headed towards the door and I gladly followed her. My eyes glanced towards the clock to catch an idea of what the time was- 8pm. Splendid.

"I'll talk to you later okay?" She pulled me in for what seemed like a genuine hug, but it felt like anything but. I nodded again, watching her leave the threshold of the house and head towards her car. It wasn't until she pulled off that I slammed the door shut, and let my anger run throughout my body unhinged.

"Can I sit down for two fucking hours, and be left the fuck alone?" I cried out, running a hand through my hair. Marshall's head instantly cocked to the side as I began speaking. "I have so much shit to do that's due tomorrow, but what am I doing?" I slam my hands down on the counter of the island, and glance at Tyler, who was sipping a smoothie with wide eyes. "Helping others."

He sat his drink down as I made my way over to sit at the counter across from him. "You should've told her that you were busy or something." Tyler tried to comfort me while having that stupid grin plastered on his face. "You have to start making people aware of your boundaries."

I shrugged, twirling his cup around. "I guess you're right. It's just annoying that I would sit here and like, dive into the ocean for people who won't even go past their ankles in water for me. Makes you feel used and useless at the same time."

For a second, I felt Tyler send a wave of understanding and sympathy as he looked into my eyes. "I know how you feel, but it's like that sometimes, unless you make the change, you know?" His large hands gripped mine and started bending my fingers back. "I know it's hard because it's your sister, but it's also inconvenient since you have so much work to do, so it's like obligations versus morals, am I right?"

"Yeah," I said surprised. "You're actually right. What's gotten into you?"

He let go of my hand and shrugged. "I don't know, I just know we've been a little tense since our schedules have changed and what not." Tyler took another sip of his smoothie. "And I've also been reading you like the back of my hand."

I smiled, and even let out a small laugh. "I guess you're right, it's just weird having to do all of this- college, work, juggling my sister's responsibilities, and hanging out with you. Not that that's a problem or anything, but it's just-"

"Overwhelming." Tyler finished my sentence for me. I raised my eyebrows in sheer amusement.

"What the hell is in this smoothie you're drinking?" I asked laughing. Tyler smiled and slid me his cup, passively giving me permission to drink some.

"It's not the smoothie dummy," He laughed. "But honestly, I just feel like you expect more of me, so I should start owning up to my side of the relationship. You're everything I could ask for and more, but who's to say that you can say the same about me."

I smiled after sitting the cup down. "I don't know why you would feel like that." I lied. "You're perfect for me, I've told you that plenty of times."

"Yeah, and you can say things out of respect and not actually mean it you know." Tyler raised an eyebrow as he glanced at me. "Look, I'm not going to get into this with you, you have a ton of work to do that's due tomorrow, so I'm going to leave you on your own, like you asked earlier."

I couldn't help but smile like a dumb goat. This was the Tyler I loved. No, this was better than the Tyler I loved. It felt like April all over again- unnecessary temperatures, headaches, and his kisses. "I love you." I said abruptly, gazing at Tyler. He looked at me with a goofy face, before leaning in to kiss me.

"I love you more." He whispered against my lips, leaving goosebumps rising on my skin.