seventeen

Tyler didn't come home until 2 in the evening. It gave me plenty of time to sort through my clothes and put them in my dresser. It also gave me plenty of time to allow my irritation with him to rise.

I understood 100% that it was a boy's night out, but there's just no logical reason as to why when I texted Jamie what time was Tyler planning to come home at noon, he said he had no clue where he even was. I called Tyler's phone repeatedly, with no answer. I refused to leave a voice mail.

Cash and Marshall, who I took out twice before Tyler came home, moped around the house. The sat in the corner, occasionally jumping on my lap to lay down.

When they heard the front door open, they barked, which gave me a slight headache. I turned and saw Tyler shuffle through the front door, wearing the same clothes from last night. His head was low as he shut the door. He came into the living room waving at me.

"I'm assuming you're hungover." I said, flipping through the channels on the TV. He nodded.

"Where were you last night?" I asked.

Tyler's face twisted up out of confusion. "The bar?" His voice was broken and deep, as if he had just woken up.

"Tyler, I know that. I mean, you weren't there until now were you?" I couldn't help but sound annoyed. He was about to beat around the bush, and quite frankly I wasn't in the mood.

"I was at Jamie's house."

I sighed. Something wasn't right, and I wasn't in the mood to try and figure it out. "Well, I texted him earlier asking what time you were coming home, and he said he had no clue where you were."

Tyler stared at me. He suddenly rubbed the back of his neck and looked away. "Well, I mean we did get dru-"

"I literally just said I texted him this morning. Intoxication doesn't last until the morning, does it?"

Tyler continued to stare at me, as if not understanding what I meant by what I said. "I mean, I was at his house. So I don't know why he would say that I wasn't." He continued rubbing his neck.

I stood up and walked towards Tyler. His neck seemed to have a bit of discoloration where he was rubbing it. The spot was a shade tanner than his skin tone. "Tyler, move your hand." I grabbed his hand and licked my thumb.

I rubbed the spot and saw it smear. It was makeup. I saw a purple tint start to show the more I started to rub the spot. Tyler managed to grab my hand and stop me from inspecting his neck.

"Sav, stop, seriously." His voice was still deep.

"What's on your neck Tyler? And why do you keep rubbing it?"

He rubbed it again before stopping himself. "It's nothing, it's just a bruise."

I scoffed. I wasn't dumb. "What type of bruise Tyler?"

He rubbed his face. "It's just a small bruise, Sav."

"Who get's bruises on their necks?" I spat.

Tyler's eyes went dark before he turned away. I followed him up the steps. "You hooked up with someone didn't you?" I asked. He didn't respond.

"Tyler, seriously, answer me. I won't be mad." I grabbed his arm and didn't let go. His inked arms were soft. He finally turned around and looked at me.

"Yes, Sav. I did. We didn't have sex or anything, I promise. I- It happened so fast. And I'm still hungover, seriously I'm so-"

"It's fine Tyler. I just wanted to know." I lied. My body temperature went up, and it wasn't out of excitement and pleasure like it usually was with him. I was angry. "You should get some sleep."

Tyler sighed. "Yeah you're right." He ran a hand through his hair before heading into his room. He didn't say anything to me before he shut the door.

I shouldn't even have been surprised. This was Tyler we were talking about. I knew he got into something more than just getting with a girl. She was lucky, whoever she was. I didn't even have the right to be upset, it wasn't like me and Tyler were in an exclusive relationship. We were both single. But it still upset me. I didn't want Tyler hooking up with anyone else. I wanted him to myself.

It wouldn't happen, though. I knew it wouldn't.

I headed downstairs to call Jamie.

"Hey, Sav, what's up?" He sounded a lot better than Tyler.

"Hey Jamie, Tyler just got home." I could hear the disappointment in my voice.

Jamie laughed over the line. "You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Well, I mean, it's always nice to have him home, but he came home with like, a hickey on his neck covered with makeup. And I asked him where he was this morning and he said your place. And then he told me that he hooked up with a girl, but they didn't have sex." I found myself biting my finger nails as I told Jamie the story.

I heard him sigh. "You do know he's probably lying, right?"

"Of course I do." My eyes started stinging. I began to get frustrated. "Jamie, it's really not fair. I- I don't know what do to do anymore. I think I like Tyler. Like, a lot. But I know I can't do anything about it because of stuff like this. I just.. I just want him to be mine. I want to be his. I try to fight it but I can't anymore. I really, really like him." A tear fell down my face as I sniffled. "I don't want to burden you with anything, but I haven't really told anyone this."

Jamie paused before responding. "Sav, I- I'm sure he likes you too. He talks about you every chance he gets. I'm not lying either, he might feel the same way. He's kissed you before, no?"

"Yeah, he did. Twice." I felt my body tingle as I remembered his lips on my skin.

"See, I'm sure he wouldn't do that just to do it. He likes you Sav."

"Yeah, but what does he say about me? Like to you guys?" I wiped a tear away with the back of my hand.

"Uhhhh," Jamie took a moment to answer. "He says that you're really pretty and funny. A couple of days ago, he was talking about how happy he was that you were cleared. But he also said that he was kinda sad that you guys wouldn't be able to take rides to the rink together. I dunno, it's like small stuff."

I ran a hand through my hair. Maybe I was stressing it out. "Thanks Jamie. I'm sorry, I should just leave you alone."

"No, you're fine Sav. You can talk to me about anything. Can't guarantee that I'll help though." He let out a small laugh.

"Thanks Jamie. I'll talk to you later.

"Yea, see ya."

I hung up and sat down on the couch. I decided enough was enough, and that I should accept the fact that I liked Tyler. I liked him a lot. Now whether he felt the same about me, was too much to think about.