forty

(TYLER'S POV)

"I'm absolutely positive that's him, Tyler." Savannah's leg was shaking and she was biting the inside of her cheek. She was freaking out and she was doing a pretty good job of containing herself.

"Do you think he recognizes you?" I asked in attempts to calm her down. Sav shrugged, looking down with a pout forming on her face. Fuck, she was so cute. "I'm sure he does Sav, just re-"

"Savannah!" Her friend Alicia peeked out of the kitchen with a goofy smile on her face as Sav's head whipped around in response. "Ryan doesn't think it's you. See?" Alicia turned her head towards Ryan who came appeared in the doorway.

A shy smile appeared on Sav's face. "Yeah, well it's me." She shrugged again. Ryan flashed a mouth full of flawless teeth as he smiled and made his way over to us.

"You're still the same sneaky little girl you've always been, aren't you?" He gave Sav a tight hug when she stood up and his hands wandered down south to her ass. She smacked them away before he gripped it. "Oh come on Sav, like you were ever the modest type."

"Fuck off, Ryan." A genuine smile was on her face as she hit his chest. At least she still had her dignity. She sat back down as Ryan sat down next to her, giving me a small smile before looking back at Ryan.

They meshed well. The two of them looked perfect for each other, and I didn't even know Ryan that well to even say that. It pissed me off. Her smile was glowing a bit more than usual, and her laugh was a bit warmer. Did people think that we meshed well together?

"So how are you? It's been so long, and you're still the same beautiful, stunning young woman you've always been. Did you dye your hair?" Ryan's hands fingered through Sav's long sheen hair, and I swore for a second he gave me a sly look.

"Yeah, I did. It was on a whim though." Sav's face was turning red, and I was sure that mine was too. I was third wheeling- with my own girlfriend. I didn't know this kid enough to hold a conversation that all three of us would enjoy. He probably knew things that I'd never know about Sav, no matter how many times we'd argue, fuck, and hate each other.

"Well, it's obvious that you've been getting down lately. What's all these hickies on your neck from?" Ryan's large hands ran over Sav's neck and tilted her head to see the marks that I left on her neck. She went red as her hands went to his to pull them away- they lingered on his when he released his touch.

"They're from my boyfriend." Sav looked back at me with a sheepish grin and I gave her a smile. "That's Tyler. My boyfriend."

Ryan raised his eyebrows and ran a hand through his long, curly hair. "Boyfriend, huh?" He reached over to shake my hand, and I gladly complied. "Nice to meet you. I'm Ryan, probably Sav's most hated ex." He glanced at Sav, who smiled.

"Nice to meet you." I said sternly. Ryan glanced between the both of us before resting his green eyes on mine and smiling.

"So how'd you guys meet?" He asked. Sav shrugged and she looked at me quickly before sighing.

"It's.. kind of a long story." She said.

"I have time." Ryan glanced between the both of us again.

"Ryan!"

We all turned our attention to the threshold of the kitchen where Alicia was standing again. "You bought the wrong case, that's why it wasn't $20 dumbass." She trotted towards him and shoved the receipt in his face. "See? Maybe if you'd stopped smoking that laced weed all the time, you'd know how to fucking read."

He snatched the receipt out of her hand and studied it for himself. Sav was laughing out loud, her beautiful smile peaking through. "Well what the hell do you want me to do? Go back to the store?"

Alicia nodded. "Yes, Ryan. I do. So can you please go back to the store, and get the right fucking case of beer that I asked for the first time?"

"Leesh, you know I'm not tryna' go all the way back there." Ryan motioned towards Sav. "I'm reuniting with my baby girl Savannah."

"Are you kidding me? Ryan, after all the-"

"I'll go." I said standing up. The three friends looked at me with surprised faces. "I can go real quick, it's fine."

"Tyler, you don't even know the area that well." Sav said.

I shrugged, heading over to Alicia. "I'll just key the directions in on my phone. It's fine. What do you need me to get?"

"It should be a sale for two cases of Coors Light for $20. This jackass over here bought Bud Light." She pointed towards Ryan who rolled his eyes. Alicia pulled out a $50 and handed it to me. "Keep the change." She winked at me and smiled, before walking away.

"What the hell?" Ryan called out, turning around. "How the hell are you gonna make him keep the change, but treat me like shit every chance you get?"

"Because he's obviously a gentleman who has manners, unlike you." Alicia called out from the kitchen.

I began to head towards the door when Sav got up and followed me. "Tyler, wait." She stopped me at the front door. "You don't have to go, you know. Ryan can go, he's just being lazy. I can make him-"

"Sav, it's fine. Honestly. You came here to talk to him, so I don't want to be some awkward third wheeler. I'll be back, you just relax and have fun." My hand went to the door but Savannah grabbed it with her cold, soft hands which sent shivers down my spine.

"Tyler, seriously." She raised her eyebrows at me. I shrugged. She rolled her eyes and looked away. "Okay, well, hurry back. And one more question." I gave her a cynical look as she gazed into my eyes. "Is Ryan looking?"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "What?"

A grin appeared on her face. "Is Ryan looking at us?"

Ryan glanced at me at the same time I glanced at him, causing him to look away. I nodded, my face still twisted. "Yeah, he is. Why?"

She leaned in for a kiss. A passionate kiss that had a lot of tongue. It turned me on and pissed me off at the same time. My hands by reflex went to her waist, but she pulled them away. "I'll see you later." A devious grin played on her flawless face as she turned around and headed back towards Ryan.

My eyes lingered on them as they laughed over something inaudible when Sav sat down. I headed out the door and towards my car.

Sav was falling out of my grip. Fast. She wasn't even aware of it- it didn't seem like she was. Yeah, 'Ryan was a prick', and 'Ryan is evil', and 'Ryan changed me'. Where was all of this now? Did she really love this kid that much?

He's obviously a problem. I knew that from the moment he wrapped his hands around Sav's body. It's disgusting- watching some other prick touch your own girlfriend's ass. Watching them hit off better than the both of you did when you first met.

And the fact that Sav was all for it- why? Why wasn't she bringing up prom? Why wasn't she bringing up Jessica? Matter of fact, where was she? Didn't she invite Sav? Honestly, I would probably feel more comfortable around her than Sav and the real love of her life.

I had to get out of the house and think. And I couldn't do that when some other prick was throwing passes at my girl like some type of quarterback. Hopefully, she'd have some type of revelation by the time I got back. And if not- then let's just say I'd probably be flying back to Dallas on my own.