fourteen

Tyler showed an affectionate, caring side of him that I never really saw until today. He took me out to eat to my favorite place, and even got me Dunkin afterwards when I told him I was still hungry. I felt like I was milking him for his money, and I told him that.

"You're not milking me for anything. Shut up and drink your apple juice Sav."

I kissed him throughout the day, showing him my affection and how thankful I was for all of his good deeds. I also wanted to see how cute he would look with marks on his face. He didn't seem to mind too much.

We drove around the city for most of the noontime, making corny passes at each other. Every compliment and chirp Tyler sent my way, I couldn't help but feel giddy. I enjoyed myself when I was around him.

We came to a red light when Tyler looked at me, smiling a bit harder than usual.

"We should play 21 questions." He looked at me with a goofy grin as I laughed.

"What made you come up with that?"

He shrugged as he pulled off from the light. "It's an easy way to get to know each other."

He had a point. I didn't seem the harm in playing. "Okay, I'm in."

Tyler laughed. "Alright, I'll start." He looked in his rear view mirror before continuing to drive. "Um, what's something you miss from high school?"

I expected a basic question, but this really had me thinking. High school. I've been out of it for four years.

"Jeez," I rubbed the back of my neck as a bunch of memories flooded through my head. "I remembered staying out late at night on Friday's after football games, and sometimes we would drive over to Perkins for all you can eat pancakes if our team wasn't winning. I remember playing Field hockey in the summer during preseason, and getting the worst tan lines before school started. I had one from my shorts, it was so bad." Tyler smiled as he kept his eyes on the road. "But if I really said I had to miss something... I don't know. High school was okay, but it wasn't anything to miss too much."

Tyler nodded as he made a right. "Do you still talk to your first crush?"

I raised my eyebrows at him. "No? Ew." My first crush was from middle school, which I barely even knew the name of. Tyler laughed again.

"Okay well, what was the most embarrassing moment you ever had?" We pulled into the parking lot across from the park. Tyler paid the fare and quickly found a spot.

"Prom night of senior year was probably the worst night of my life." I got out of the car as Tyler turned it off. He waited for me as I walked towards him.

"It's pretty rare that I hear that prom night was bad." Tyler's hands were in the pockets of his shorts. "What happened?"

I sighed. Senior year overall was probably one of the worst years of life, and if I could explain why in one story, it would easily be prom night. "Well, me and my boyfriend were dressed and everything. I felt so good about myself, and it was so funny because prom was a day after our one year anniversary." The story brought a familiar burning sensation to my eyes. Thankfully, my shades were still on. "So we went to take pictures with my friends out on this really pretty field. My boyfriend was with his friends and I was with mine. He was so cute, and I was so in love with him. Every once in a while, he would come over and kiss me and tell me he loved me. It was a dream prom for any girl my age. So fast forward, we make our way to the banquet place where it was being held. We got there, and suddenly I couldn't find him. He disappeared for most of the night. I asked all of my friends where he was and they didn't know. So I didn't dance the rest of the night, I kept calling his phone and he didn't answer. Prom ended at midnight, and I didn't see him until 11. Not only was that enough to send me over the edge, but he was drunk. Full on wasted."

Tyler shook his head as we crossed the street. "That's horrible."

"I know." I sighed. "So I asked him where he was most of the night, and he doesn't even have a good answer. He looked a mess. His pants were unzipped, shirt unbuttoned. But then, I looked at his neck. And this big, fat hickey was there. I felt my heart drop. I can still remember his reaction. He covered it up, and told me that it was from me, that I gave him the hickey. I was so mad Tyler, I asked him for the truth. That's all I wanted. That's all I ever wanted. But he didn't give it to me."

Tyler turned to look at me. "Did you ever find out what happened?" I nodded quietly, as we entered the park.

"It turned out, that um," I could hear my voice starting to shake. "He actually had sex with one of my friends. It killed me. One of my other friends had to tell me. We ended up breaking up, and he was my ride home. My parents were out, and my sister didn't have a car yet. So I had to walk home. It was mile walk home, in heels and an expensive prom dress." Tyler put his arm around my shoulder and held me close.

"I shouldn't have asked, I'm sorry. That guy is a real douche to pull a move like that Sav." His voice was low and deep. "I'm sorry."

I sniffled. "No it's fine. It's over with now. I don't talk to anyone from high school anyway." Tyler's grip on me tightened. "They're cruel people. The world is cruel."

Tyler leaned his head towards me, and kissed my cheek this time. His lips were soft, and lingered a while on my face. "I hate seeing you upset." He put his head on top of mine, wrapping both of his arms around me.

I squeezed him back, embracing his familiar, soothing smell. "Thanks Tyler." I pulled away wiping my eyes. "I'm sorry, I just killed the mood didn't I?"

Tyler laughed as he pulled me towards him again. "No, it's fine Sav. Come on, let's walk around." We walked off, his arm still wrapped around my neck.

The way he cared for me and the way he made sure I was alright- I loved it. I loved Tyler. From the Dunkin, to just letting me move in, it was these little moments that really made me fall in love with Tyler.