eighty

I woke up in a cloud-like bed to the sun peaking through familiar cream colored curtains. A black Labrador retriever greeted me with big droopy eyes, before beginning to pant out of excitement. I arose lazily, sighing in the process. Of course I ended back here, I thought to myself. The aroma of a cooking breakfast wafted into the bedroom, luring me downstairs.

Somehow I had ended up in a Dallas Stars shirt and a pair of gym shorts. I had a fair memory of last night; me and Tyler hooked up without fair warning of the consequences. Having him on top of me gave me a sense of security like no other; yet the guilt still gave me pangs of worthlessness- I ruined the one thing I had going for me. There was no salvation from the selfishness I displayed that night, yet for some reason Tyler must've still saw something in me.

I headed downstairs to locate the smell, and saw Tyler frying bacon and cooking waffles. He was never really a pancake person; if he made them, it was only because I asked him to. The living room still looked the same; large, high ceilings and natural light beaming in outside from the large windows. His back was towards me, telling me he was unaware that I was here.

"You know, I always thought this house was too big for just one person." I said, leaning onto the kitchen island. He turned around and gave me his signature smirk.

"It's nice to see you too, beautiful." Tyler sat the breakfast between us on the kitchen island, which consisted of waffles with fruit, bacon and eggs. "As you can see, I made us a little breakfast. Are you hungry?"

My heart began to beat in a way that I wasn't used to; not with prominent giddiness, but with a sense of anxiety and detachment. I flashed him the most genuine smile I could muster up. "Yeah, I am." I took a seat at the island as Tyler passed me a plate and utensils.

We began eating together in a silence that I was convinced was different for the both of us- I was sure Tyler was reveling in the fact that I was in front of him again, and I seemed sane. However, the silence for me began to close in on me, leaving me suffocated. The elephant in the room was back, nudging me with its trunk. "Tyler, don't you think we should talk about last night?" The words came out before I even had the courage to say them.

He gave me a glance with his eyebrows furrowed. "Talk about what?"

"Um, the fact that we had sex for the first time in months after not seeing each other?"

There was an awkward silence except for Tyler's silverware pressing against his plate. "Did you not enjoy it, or somet-"

"Tyler, please." I interrupted. "You know what I'm getting at. I just feel like it's weird that we.. did what we did without even talking about anything." He was quiet. "Tyler, pleas-"

"Fine, Sav. Let's talk about it. Do you want to ask me anything? Or should I ask you my long list of questions that I tried to avoid asking since I know it would kill me?" Tyler belted out.

"I don't see the benefit of avoiding it Tyler. That's all I was trying to-"

"Who's house did you decide to live in? It wasn't your fucking sisters, that's for sure." His hands were folded and anticipating a painful response. I had nothing other than that.

"A classmate of mine." I spoke softly.

"I'm assuming a guy."

I nodded.

He let out a loud scoff. "And I'm also going to assume there was some type of relationship going on?"

I hesitated for a moment. "We were just friends the entire time. We were never anything intimate, like boyfriend and girlfriend."