seventy eight

For God knows what reason, Julia scheduled her wedding on what felt like the hottest day of the year (despite it being mid spring) and decided to make it outdoors. We arrived at the outdoor venue at around noon, giving us and attendees 3 hours to wander and speak with each other.

While we prepared Julia for her special moment, our parents walked in. My mother was awestruck and my father grimaced- the polar opposite reactions gave me a warm feeling of home that I hadn't felt in a while. Julia immediately got up to greet them, with me following. 

"Honey, you look gorgeous." My mom's warm voice seeped. She brought her in for a warm hug. "I am so proud and happy for you. You look beautiful, and I'm so excited to see what is in store for you." My dad gave her a pat on the shoulder. I could tell he was emotional when he didn't have much to say.

My mom looked towards me, and I could see her expression soften. "And you," she began, bringing me in for a hug. "You look just as beautiful." She pulled away from me, and I could see her eyes scramble from feature to feature on my face. "I don't know how me and your dad made such beautiful children. We're so blessed."

"Thanks mom." I said in a soft voice. My dad nodded in agreement.

"Julia, let me know when I'm supposed to walk you down. I think I'm going to get a drink before hand." He shuffled out of the room as we laughed at his parental pain. My mom scoffed as she continued to take us in.

"Are you feeling okay Julia?"

"I'm fine," she continued to fiddle with her veil. "I'm just a little nervous that's all."

"Oh, that's normal." My mom said. "Once you see Brandon, it'll feel like you're the only two there." She turned to me after aiding in Julia's tinkering of her dress and veil. 

"I saw Tyler outside. He's looking as handsome as ever." She said. My heart dropped. "It looks like he brought a bunch of his friends. Did you invite them Julia?"

She gave me a quick glance before answering. "Uh, yeah. I mean, I told him he could bring them since he's not really too fond of our family or Brandon's, you know?" She gave me another glance before smiling at my mom.

My heart was thudding so intensely, it felt as if my dress were about to rip to shreds. So he was here; and he brought his friends. Great.  

I wanted to go outside and get a drink with my Dad just to brush off some of the nerves I had, but the possibility of running into Tyler was too much of a risk. Fuck, I thought to myself. Fuck fuck fuck.

Thankfully my mother did not interrogate me anymore about my nonexistent love life. Before I knew it, it was time to begin the ceremony. The rest of Julia's bridesmaids and I lined up to head outside.

The venue was beautiful. The sun's menacing glare shined down amongst the trees enclosing the opaque white seats and walkway. White flowers and vibrant green plants of all sorts decorated the seats. The altar had little steps that led to where Julia and Brandon would be standing. A large tree and a quiet and peaceful stream of water were meticulously placed behind the altar. It seemed like an outdoor fairytale; almost too good to be true. It fit Julia's style like a glove.

When we arrived, Brandon was already at the altar. He was in a tuxedo, with a matching opaque white button down and a champagne tie. He looked handsome; and so did the rest of his best men. As I examined the crowd before walking out, a familiar head caught my attention.

It was Tyler.

I couldn't get a good look at him since his back was towards us, but I noticed he was towards the middle. My heart sunk to my ass after realizing he was actually here- for the first time in months, me and him were in the same room. What shook me to my core was that nothing but the unknown laid between us. I didn't know how to act; or even if I should.