twelve

(tyler's pov)

It wasn't until around 6:30 pm that I got into game mode. Being back on the ice after what seemed like ages brought me back to my senses. The crowd was loud, and we were playing against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The fans banging on the glass when I skated by gave me a surge of energy that I could only feel on game night. I was ready.

The NBCSN commentators scheduled me for a short pregame interview before the puck dropped, with Pierre McGuire. He signaled me to come over as the lights went down.

"Your last game against the Blues ended in a shootout lost, what are you looking forward to doing tonight to avoid any type of overtime?" Pierre was yelling over the wild crowd into my ear.

"Uh, I mean, we just have to focus on getting the puck and shooting it, you know. It's simple really, we all just have to focus and we'll be alright."

"I want to ask a question that everyone wants to know," A grin spread over Pierre's face. "In your last game, you injured a young girl in the crowd with your slapshot. Is she doing alright?"

This managed to get a laugh out of me. "Yeah, she's okay. We're taking care of her and making sure she's all right."

"That's good to hear. Good luck tonight."

"Thanks Pierre."

And with that I was off.

The game was a good one- it always was against the Pens. We ended up winning, 5-3, with no overtime. Three of the goals were mine. A lot of post-game media interviews asked me where the momentum came from, but all I could do was shrug.

"It just felt good to be back on the ice."

I was getting dressed after taking a shower when Jamie came over to me.

"What's the real reason you scored that hatty?" He leaned against the wall next to me.

"You tell me."

A sneaky grin spread over Jamie's face."Well if you ask me, I think it has something to do with your girl at home."

My neck and face started to burn when I turned to look at him. Jamie shrugged and continued to smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said quietly. He scoffed.

"What's gotten into you? You've been quiet all day today, I haven't heard a peep about Savannah out of you. Did something happen between you two?" Jamie walked out the locker room with me as we headed out.

I sighed. "I don't know, I just.. I don't think I like her. I'm getting ahead of myself." That was the easiest way I could put it into words.

"What do you mean you're getting ahead of yourself?" Jamie and I were outside under the dark, night sky as we walked to the parking lot. There were plenty of stars out tonight, more than I could count.

"I feel like I tried to rush our relationship. Matter of fact, there wasn't even a relationship in the first place. I don't know much about her, but yet I kissed her. I didn't thi-"

"Wait, you kissed her?" Jamie interrupted me smiling. This caused a smile to form on my face as well.

"Yeah, I did. Last night. And I told her sister, and she said I need to 'watch myself' and that I shouldn't 'pry into things if i'm not going to finish them'. Her saying that really got me thinking man. I don't think I like Savannah. I probably just think she's pretty." I approached my car and unlocked it.

"Dude, that's a lie." Jamie looked at me cynically. "You like her. And if you really feel like you're rushing things, just take her out to eat or something and get to know her."

I smiled. "That's a good idea. I'll look into it man. See ya later."

"See ya." Jamie called.

The car ride home gave me more than enough time to think about everything that happened in the past couple of days. I thought about Savannah. Did I like her? I didn't think I did. She was gorgeous though, one of the most attractive women I've met in my life. I didn't know much about her, at least not as much as I wanted to know. Why did she come to that game Friday night? When was her birthday? What zodiac sign was she? So many basic questions filled my head up to the brim.

Then I thought about Jamie's suggestion. It wasn't that bad of an idea, I'm sure she wouldn't mind. We could go look for a place to eat. Practice was optional tomorrow, since we won. We rarely got opportunities like this, so I should make the best of it by spending the day off with her. We would drive around as her hair blew in the wind. The faint smell of hair dye would permeate the car. An ideal day out with Savannah.

That was, if she wasn't still sleeping, or if she didn't have a migraine. Or, if she wasn't in a bad mood. I sighed again.

I've had my fair share of experiences with girls, and the fact that they were nothing like Savannah frustrated me. My head was never clear around her. I never knew what to say or do when I was with her. Why was it so confusing?

The wind continued to blow throughout the car as I took the main road home. I decided it would be okay to take her out. It was always okay, I just didn't know if I should or not. I grinned to myself as I made a small right off the road.

~

When I got home, I came in the back through the family room. Savannah, Cash, and Marshall were all asleep as I unlocked the screen door and stepped inside. Julia was on her phone, as her legs were hanging over the arm of the couch. She sat up as she heard me come in.

"Hey Tyler. Nice hatty tonight." Julia stood up. Under her eyes were dark and her hair was knotty.

"Thanks, Jul. You can head home, I can tell you're tired." I smiled softly. Savannah was still sleeping soundly under one of my blankets.

"She's been sleep all day. She came down and asked me where you were." Julia caught me looking Savannah. She smiled uneasily. "She forgot that you kissed her too. I don't know how."

I felt my heart drop, but all I could do was manage a small smile. "Doesn't surprise me." I said. Julia grabbed her bag and started to head out, before I called after her.

"Yeah?" She turned around. In that moment, she looked a bit like her sister. Those blonde waves fell over her shoulder, just like how Savannah's used to.

"Do you know if Savannah has like, a favorite restaurant?" I rubbed the back of my neck, feeling a little self conscious. Julia's face relaxed as she smiled.

"Yeah, she loves IHOP for breakfast. For lunch and dinner, I think a small diner would be perfect for her. But she does like Applebees. A little too much if you ask me. Why, what made you ask?" She raised her eyebrows.

"I wanted to take her out tomorrow. Just to get to know her more, you know?"

Julia looked away and opened the screen door. "Yeah. I'm sure she'll like it. See ya."

She left, closing the door, and walked off into the night quietly. Her car started and pulled out of my driveway.

It was just me and Savannah now, and Savannah was still on the couch sleeping. I couldn't let her sleep there for the night. I walked over to her and scanned her face. Her lips were slightly open as they always were, and her arms wrapped around herself.

I put my arms underneath her and lifted her slowly, bridal style. The blanket fell off of her, which went unnoticed. I quietly made my way upstairs. Her head hung back as her brown waves shifted with each step I took. I finally reached her room, and struggled to turn on her light. When it flickered on, I instantly regretted it. Savannah squinted and her eyes parted slightly. I smiled.

"What are you doing?" She stared at me sleepily as I laid her down in her bed. She turned onto her side, waiting for an answer.

"You were sleep downstairs, so I brought you up here." I glanced outside her window that was next to her bed.

"Oh. Thanks." Savannah turned back around, her back facing me. "Goodnight." She murmured.

"Night."

I turned off her light and headed out her room, with a familiar, heavy pain in my chest.