fifteen

A couple of days passed and the end of the regular season was upon us. The Stars were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, so playing at this point was only for spoiler, pride and fun.

My condition felt like it was better, but according to Tyler, it didn't necessarily mean that it was better. I begged to differ. My headaches weren't as prominent and painful as they were when I first got hit, and my appetite was coming back little by little. I started to feel normal again.

The two weeks since my diagnosis passed, so I was due to see Ed. It resulted in good news- I was cleared. They said it was a quick recovery, which was unusual. I didn't really care if it was unusual or not, I was just thankful that it was over with. Ed told me that I still had Traumatic Brain Injury, so I would get the occasional headache and nausea, but it was nothing to stress about. He also told me to do some physical activity every once in a while, and to get some rest if needed. On the way home, Tyler took that as a chance to try to get me to learn how to play hockey.

"I could teach you how to play hockey for your physical activity." A sly grin was on his face as we drove down the main road home.

"Tyler, I thought I told you I played field hockey."

"Yeah, but that's field. It's nothing compared to ice."

We both came to the conclusion that I would stick to field hockey and softball, the only sports that I ever played, when I explained to Tyler that I didn't know how to ice skate and I wouldn't start to learn at 22.

All was well for the next couple of days, but things didn't really start to change until the last couple of practices and games before the post season arrived.

Tyler was really touchy. He usually was, but he was a little too touchy. Every chance he got, his hands were on me. I didn't really complain, but it was still weird.

I was home watching TV on the couch one night, when Tyler came in after a loss. He came towards me and flopped on the couch next to me, rubbing his face.

"Hey Sav." Tyler's voice was deep, and sounded as if he was full of pain. I looked at him.

"Hey." I turned around and faced him, still managing to stay cozy in the blanket I was under. "You okay?"

He smiled softly. "Yeah, I am now that I'm here with you." Tyler ran his hand through his hair before sighing. "What do you think of me Sav?"

I looked at him. "Huh?"

Tyler turned so that his body was now facing mine also. "When you look at me, and hang out with me, what do you think of me?"

I was assuming he wanted to be taken serious, so I shrugged. How was I expected to answer that?

"Sav, please answer me." He rested his arm over the top of the sofa.

"I- I think you're nice."

Tyler rolled his eyes, with more attitude and annoyance that I ever had. He looked away and sighed, before rubbing his face again and looking back at me. "So what about that day we went to iHOP?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What about it?"

"When you kept kissing me? Why did you do that?"

I paused. Why was he bringing this up all of a sudden?

"I don't know, I was in a good mood, and I just felt like doing it. It wasn't like you minded or anything. "

Tyler laughed cynically. "Are you in a good mood now?"

"Uh, I guess?"

He looked me in my eyes before leaning towards me. This feeling was all too familiar. Tyler's eyes started to close as he continued to lean towards me. I allowed myself to follow his movements, and soon- our lips met. Again. He was more gentle this time. His soft lips danced over mine, alternating between sucking on my bottom lip and just kissing the both of them. As if out of reflexes, my hand went to hold his cheek. I could feel his thick, unshaven facial hair under my fingers. Tyler's lips were smooth and wet as the weaved through mine.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer towards him. Again, all of this was too familiar. His arms moved from my waist to my hips and pulled me onto my lap, allowing me to sit on his lap. I moved my hand from his beard to his sweaty hair. Tyler started to become desperate for something more- his tongue met with mine for a split second, before he moved to the crook of my neck. I moaned instantly as I rubbed my hand through his hair. He started to nip at the skin of my neck, probably making an attempt to leave a hickey. I had to stop him.

"Tyler," It came out more of a moan than expected. I felt him smile against my skin.

"Tyler." I succeeded this time. Tyler lifted his head and looked into my eyes. The way he looked at me made me want more, but I had to stop him. "What the hell are we doing?"

He looked away before getting up. "Sorry." He made his way upstairs and I followed.

"Tyler, stop." I grabbed his sleeve covered arm. "Why did you do that?"

He shrugged. "I got ahead of myself again. Just, forget it. I need to get some sleep." Tyler broke free of my grasp and turned to walk up the stairs.

"You said that last time." I said. He turned to look at me.

"I'm starting to run out of excuses for my behavior around you. It's hard to control myself sometimes."

I didn't know how to respond, so I let him go.

My neck still had a faint feel of wetness where Tyler kissed me when he went to his bedroom. I didn't necessarily know why he decided to kiss me tonight, or what made him ask those questions. I never really knew anything about Tyler, and it took me a while to realize that.