fifty nine

It was 8am on a Saturday. I wasn't supposed to get ready until little before 6:30pm. So why the hell was I up?

Because my sister's bachelorette party was today; and quite frankly, I would've done anything possible to avoid it.

It wasn't necessarily the fact that it had something to do with my engaged sister that I was annoyed, but more along the lines that I had to interact with people I barely knew. All I knew was that her friends were a bit more boisterous than I was, which hopefully would be proven to be a false accusation after the night was over. The only person I knew that was associated with my sister was her fiancée- someone that definitely wouldn't be attending tonight.

I pleaded and begged Tyler to hang around the house during the day, but he adamantly refused. On my last try, I asked him what would be the harm of actually staying around and monitoring 20-something year old women partying in his house.

"I might see something I don't wanna see."

"Like what Tyler?"

"I don't know," he sipped from his water bottle. "The possibility of seeing your sister unwrap a vibrator for a present."

He had a point.

What made it worse was that the next day he would be on a plane to Arizona for an away game against the Coyotes, and I couldn't even spend his last day with him. He promised that he would make time between the both of us before he headed out, but God only knows what he actually meant by that.

I was out of bed by 8:30 and down and baking for the party by 9. I told my sister that I make her some desserts and we can order a shit ton of food for dinner. It was a pretty good compromise in my book. I wasn't going to make anything too crazy, so I stuck to brownies and cookies. 10 minutes after the sweets went in, Tyler came shuffling down the steps.

"Hey," I called out from the kitchen island. He waved in response, a sign showing that he was still tired and only came down because he smelt food.

"What are you making?" Tyler slid into the stool across from me, examining an empty water bottle I had finished drinking.

"Brownies and cookies."

Tyler raised an eyebrow. "It's pretty early for that. You're not making breakfast?"

I shook my head. "It's for tonight, so I'd thought I get it out of the way first."

"Did you eat breakfast?"

I didn't answer him as I forced my attention to the TV behind him. My answer would probably send him over the edge and cause him to cook a 5-course breakfast so he could throw it down my throat. I haven't been hungry recently, and it's been bothering him for some reason.

"Sav."

"Hmm?" I looked back at him.

"You didn't eat did you?"

I shook my head again, flashing him a cheeky smile. He sighed as he ran a hand over his face. "Sav, you seriously haven't been eating a lot lately. And coming from you- someone who likes to eat- it's worrying. The last time I've seen you eat was yesterday morning. And you almost skipped out on that meal. I may sound-"

"I've only been up for like an hour Tyler, calm down, I'm going to eat. I just haven't been hungry lately and I haven't been having an appetite either." I said, turning around to check on the brownies. "It's nothing serious, so stop making it seem like it is."