twenty three

"Yeah, that'll be fine. Thanks again, Gab." I spit out a couple of Sunflower seeds into an old Dunkin Donuts bag. "Can you tell Michael for me?"

"Yeah, definitely. I'll see you later."

I hung up my phone, dropping more seeds into my mouth. It was obvious that I hit rock bottom. I was trying to get my job back. They never even officially fired me, I just never returned to the job because of my injury. It was pretty obvious that I couldn't rely on Tyler for everything, and plus it got boring sitting around the house, knowing I could do stuff that's actually productive. Not spitting out seeds every five seconds.

"SAV!" I felt a huge pair of hands grab my shoulders with a strong force, causing me to choke on my seeds. Cash and Marshall started barking as my eyes watered, still coughing in attempts of trying to remove the food lodged in my throat. I turned around, seeing Tyler with a bag.

"Are you serious," Tears were still falling down my face as I saw Tyler sit next to me. "A simple hello would've been fine, you know."

A cheeky grin was on Tyler's face as he played with the strings of his windbreaker. "I wanted to go for something more. I brought you some food home." His big hands slid the bag over to me. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Why'd you do that?" He got me my favorite pasta, Chicken Penne, with a side of two breadsticks.

Tyler leaned onto his elbows, still flashing his grin. "I was thinking about you the whole time." His voice was deep and monotone, the way I loved it. I shifted in my seat as I felt my body heat up. "Why, you don't want it?"

"No, no I want it. It's just.. unexpected." I dipped my finger into the food, testing the temperature. It was still a bit warm.

"Why is it unexpected?"

I shrugged as I looked at Tyler. The black windbreaker he had on really complimented his skin. His facial hair was getting a bit shaggy, which was fine with me. He got more and more attractive by the day. "It's just weird, you getting me food after we haven't really.. hung out. Or talked in a while." I looked away.

Tyler furrowed his eyebrows at me, still grinning. "You were the one walking around with an attitude the whole week."

"What attitude?" I spat.

"See, right there." Tyler laughed. I shook my head, looking away. "Oh yeah, who were you talking to on the phone?"

"My job. You heard that?"

He nodded as he rubbed his neck. "Why did you call your job?"

"Because I need one?"

Tyler leaned back in his chair. He wasn't going to debate me calling my job, since there wasn't really a reason to. He's done it recently, and I'm sure he learned by now who would come out on top if the topic of 'being cleared' was brought up. "So what happened?" He asked, his voice softer than usual.

"They said I could come in Friday, and talk to them about everything that happened." I grabbed a handful of seeds, dropping them into my mouth. The familiar salty taste spread to my cheeks, stinging them a bit.

"Where do you even work?" Tyler looked at me, a bit confused.

I cracked the seeds open, and spit them out before responding. "A sports apparel shop. They sell some Stars stuff. " I smirked a little.

"Wait." Tyler leaned forward again. "Where is this place?"

"Uh, Flower Mound, I think?"

Tyler's eyes got wide. "Are you talking about Rally House?" His voice was giddy.

My head titled as I crinkled my nose. "You know that place?"

"I'm a spokesperson for them. You didn't know that?"

I leaned on the arm of the chair, my body language answering his question.

Tyler tapped a small beat onto the table as he grinned. "Well, are you free Saturday? Preferably, Saturday night?"

I stared at him. Where is he going with this? "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

A full smile broke out on his face, as he watched me. "Well, I heard there's a carnival going on this weekend at one of the suburban high schools." He started scratching his rib, showing a bit of his Stanley Cup tattoo off. "I'd thought you'd want to go with me or something." He smiled. "We're not too old for carnivals, right?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "A carnival huh? I'm really not that good with rides, Tyler." I wasn't kidding. Rides freaked me out, no matter what they were. Big, small, I couldn't do them without hesitating a bit. Tyler looked like the type to ride anything and everything, not caring if his friends wanted to join him or not.

"Well, I mean, you do have me, so you'll be fine. I wouldn't leave you, if that's what you're thinking." His voice was brazen and full of confidence, causing me to smile a bit.

"I know you wouldn't leave me, Tyler. I just don't want to hear your attitude when I don't want to get on something." I placed my face on my palm.

"Sav, it's a carnival, what do you expect? Some Kingda Ka type shit?" Tyler laughed out loud, his warm smile that I loved so much spreading over his flawless face.

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Whatever, asshole. Is it just us going?"

Tyler raised his eyebrow. "I mean, if you want it to be we can be."

I sighed. "Tyler, seriously."

His grin faded as he ran a hand through his hair. "Well Jamie and Jason are going, but they already knew about it, and told me they weren't going until late at night. I was planning on taking us earlier, like around 6 or 6:30."

"Which means that it will only be us, for an extended period of time." I said, getting to his point. He nodded in response.

"Pretty much. So, you up for it?" Tyler asked, petting Cash, who was now laying his head on Tyler's knees. "It would be nice to hang out, since we haven't done it in a while."

I shrugged, trying my absolute hardest to mask my excitement. "Yeah, it would be. I'm down." Tyler continued rubbing behind Cash's ear as he smiled at me.

"That's good to hear. It'll be like the good ol' times." He mumbled quietly.

Good old times, he said. The good ol' fucking times. Tyler even knew himself it was a while since we talked. It broke my heart, and made me want to just reach over and place a big kiss on those lips that should've been mine.