sixty

"From 20 minutes ago when you were sitting on my bedroom floor putting on makeup to now, you look good. Really good."

"Are you saying that I look bad without makeup?"

"How is that the only thing you got from what I said?"

"So I am?"

Tyler laughed as he lit a candle and placed it on the bar outside. "You know I would never say anything like that."

I walked into his backyard and sighed. Everyone would be arriving in about 30 minutes, but I still couldn't shake the weird feeling in my stomach. A nice breeze fell over the city, making it a bit chillier than expected. My slightly curled hair flew in the direction of the air as I looked over towards Tyler. He was staring at me with a red face.

"Why you looking at me like that?" I asked placing a piece of hair behind my ear. Tyler shrugged and walked over twirling the lighter in his hand.

"It still amazes me how beautiful you are sometimes." He looked down at me as he shivered. "Chilly out, isn't it?"

My face started burning. I've known this guy since April, and I still managed to blush at his every word. It killed me how much I was still head over heels for him.

"Why so quiet?" Tyler pinched my cheek, bringing me back to reality.

I nodded, realizing that didn't answer his question in anyway. "Nothing, I'm fine. Just a bit winded."

He raised his eyebrow before leaning down to kiss me. It was a bit longer than his other ones; his huge hand went to my cheek to caress it. When my arm wrapped around his neck, he got a bit more desperate and placed both of his hands on my waist. His hand moved up to my back which signaled he was about to go for my neck. "Tyler stop," I said pulling away. "You're taking it too far."

He gave me a puzzled look. "How am I taking it too far?"

"You were about to go for my neck."

He laughed in disbelief. "No I was not."

I rolled my eyes and walked back into the house. "Yeah right. Even if you weren't, it wasn't like you were gonna finish what you started."

Tyler laughed louder this time as he shut the screen door. "One thing I do wish I could finish is your smart mouth."

"I doubt that'll ever happen." I pulled the cookies and brownies from the fridge and sat them down on the island counter.

"I guess we'll find out tonight, now won't we?" Tyler popped a cookie in his mouth and winked.

"You say that every night." I deadpanned.

He paused before shrugging. "You got me there."

I laughed as I placed my head on my palm. "You're so annoying."

"I know something about me that isn't."

I narrowed my eyes and cocked my head. He raised his hands and walked away in response.

"I never said no." I called after him. "Just saying." No response. I wasn't surprised since I knew there would be one later on.

My sister came around 5 minutes after me and Tyler's innuendo battle. She instantly complimented me on my outfit; claiming that I looked like the bachelorette. I wasn't wearing anything crazy- a white turtleneck, high-waisted maroon pants, a fur vest, and knee-high boots. Was I missing something?

After her, unfamiliar faces piled in until around 20 people were in the living room shoving food down their throats. I sat from the kitchen island observing everyone and secretly hoping that this night would fly by. To get out of the crowded room for a quick second, I searched for Tyler in hopes that he could give me a couple of words of advice before he headed out to wherever he was going. I turned up short and my body automatically went into panic mode. That fucker, I thought. How could he leave without saying goodbye? As I walked back into the living room, a brunette with what seemed like an alcoholic beverage already stopped me.