forty seven

(TYLER'S POV)

Savannah didn't come home until around 7pm. I called her multiple times and so did her parents, but she didn't answer. Where she was was a complete mystery, so seeing her come in was a huge relief.

The way she came in though, was anything but.

There was a bunch of jiggling and shuffling around before Savannah came in and kicked the door shut behind her. She came to the living room threshold and tossed the keys onto the table, but missed by a couple of feet. She cursed under her breath and asked me to pick them up for her.

I got a good look of her face, and she had a bag of ice to what seemed like her right eye. Sav turned around before I could get a word out but I got on my feet quickly, and grabbed her shoulder. "Sav, what's wrong with your eye?" I turned her around and I ripped the bag of ice out of her hand.

She had a black eye.

Sav's eyebrows furrowed and her face turned up as she put the ice back on her eye. "Stop," She mumbled. I followed her upstairs and into her room, making sure to close the door behind us.

"You need to tell me what happened." I said sternly. Sav sat down on the edge of her bed, her back facing me. "Sav, ignoring me isn't going to help, I need to know what happened. Where the hell did you go that made you get a black eye?"

"I'm not ignoring you." Sav choked out. She's been crying, I could tell. "I just fell, that's all."

I sighed as I made my way over to her. Where was this timid attitude coming from? She sure as hell wasn't acting like this earlier. "Are you lying?" I asked, wrapping an arm around her waist as I sat down. "Just tell me Sav."

She stared absent-mindedly at the ground. Her legs were crossed, and she was swaying the one on top. Her body language spoke more than her actual mouth did, and I couldn't help but feel upset. That's when a tear suddenly fell down her cheek. Her hands quickly went to it and wiped it away.

"Savannah, look at me." I grabbed her face, but she gripped my hand it pulled it away. "What the hell is your problem? Why can't you just tell me what-"

"Ryan hit me, okay?" She yelled out. "Ryan, my ex boyfriend, took his fist, and hit me in the eye. That's what happened Tyler." Sav stood up and faced me, still holding the ice to her eye.

Ryan put his hands on Savannah? And I wasn't around? A surge of heat pumped through my body and one swift wave. "Wait wait wait," I ran a hand through my hair. "Ryan put his hands on you?"

Savannah nodded, looking away. "I'm weak aren't I? Always going back to the people who hurt me, even when I try to put an end to it." She was full on crying by now, tears soaking her flawless skin. "All I wanted to do was break things off, Tyler. To move on. To do something for me. And this is what I get. A black eye." Sav chuckled cynically.

"So he hit you because you wanted to move on? What did you say to him?" I asked. The whole situation was baffling and angering.

Sav shrugged. "I went too far. I said something about his Dad abusing his Mom, and I guess he didn't appreciate it too much. I deserved it." She shifted the ice onto her eye as she wiped away more tears. "I was stupid for even thinking I could-"

"Savannah, stop." I interrupted. I stood up, making her back up against the wall. "Don't start with the whole self-bashing. You didn't do anything wrong. If you went there-"

"I did do something wrong though!" Sav shrieked out. "Don't I always? Ask my parents. I made them happy when I left this place. They couldn't stand me at all, Tyler. When I left and they had the house to themselves and their favorite daughter Julia, what more could they ask for! But I guess they felt bad since they sent her down to Dallas to watch me. Right mom?" Sav was yelling loud enough for her parents to hear.