Day 25 - Christmas

Damian knew that Christmas was a beloved holiday but he couldn't understand it. Why would people spend massive amounts of money on people when they would only use it once. Why would they keep it hidden then wrap it in paper for the paper to be thrown away after being shredded in seconds. To him it was a waste of time and money. He would rather save it and do something he would like to do. But his stepmother who was more of a mother than his own Marinette loved the holiday and he wanted to know why.

"Stepmother?" Damian said as he stepped into the living room where Marinette was reading the match girl while humming to his baby sister Martha Sterling Wayne. Marinette looked up and smiled at Damian.

"Is there something I can help you with Damian?" Marinette asked with a smile as she closed her book.

"Why do you like Christmas so much?" Damian asked with a frown. Marinette looked at Damian with a smile her seem to dance with happiness. Patting next to her Marinette turned to Damian as he sat down next to her.

"Christmas isn't just about the gifts you get, the number, how expensive and the lights. Those are just plus to it, well at least for me. Damian Christmas has this magical feeling about it. You can't just act like Christmas is the holiday where your at your happiest. You need to feel and believe it. Or others will be able to tell that it isn't." Marinette said to Damian and chuckled a little seeing that he hasn't found the true meaning of Christmas yet.

"What is it?" Damian asked with curiosity.

"Well in a way it's love. Love ones come from all over when given the chance. The gifts show the love you have for the people you have in your life. Whether their related by blood or by bond. The effort shows your love and admiration for each other not how expensive it was. In each and every person there's the Christmas spirit. This spirit lives and grows in each and everyone of us. The only question I have for you now is will you continue to bury your Christmas spirit or will you let it flourish?" Marinette explained with softness in her voice. Damian seemed to be lost in thought at what she said. Getting up he went to leave but stopped at the doorway.

"Thank you Stepmother." Damian said in his emotionless tone. But there was a kind of air to it. Like he was letting some of his barriers fall but not really. Marinette smiled at Damian even though he couldn't see it completely.

"Anytime Damian. And I love you as if you were my own. So you Amy call me mom, Marinette or mama. Whatever fits me best to you. You don't need to call me Stepmother." Marinette replied as she opened her book to the page she was on. Damian nodded as he left the room with a soft smile. Even though no one saw it Damian smiled and it was a true smile not a fake one he would put up for the cameras. The smile was one of true happiness that rarely graced his features. And that very Christmas Damian gave Marinette the gift any parent would want. Wether they be related or not. He called her mom in front of their family. And he didn't correct himself once.