Hurt: 12 Years Later

So, you guys were really mad because of how 'Hurt' ended. Here's a better ending for you, because I hate the way their story ended! 

Starts at the famous Wolfstar hug 🤗

~Remus' POV~

My heart stops. Every horrible memory that I've collected over the last twelve years come flooding back to me as I look Sirius, the man who once made me feel better than I ever had, standing right in front of me. 

In a split second, I feel every horrible feeling that I've felt because of his absence. Then, we're practically running toward each other and his arms are around my neck and I'm pulling him in close to me by his waist. In that moment, I remember every good feeling that he ever made me feel. Laughing so hard my stomach hurt and tears leaked from me eyes, feeling so safe when he kissed me and told me everything was okay. 

It's only a moment, but it gives me the strength that I need to explain to the kids what's going on. 

~

"Remus. Remus, come on. Wake up, Moony." The first thing I see when I brave the sunlight of early morning is Sirius' worried face. I have to take a few seconds, because my brain is so fuzzy from last night. 

"What-?" I rub my eye, trying to make my brain catch up. 

"We'll talk about it later, moons. It's cold out, let's get you inside." 

Sirius helps me up and into the shack. "Do you still have hoodies stashed?" He asks, and at my nod he goes to fetch a set of clothes from memory. There's a few stashed throughout the shack, some of them probably from our Hogwarts days. 

I manage to get dressed with a bit of help, because my back is more fucked up than it usually is. Sirius helps me lay down on the old, practically ancient, bed in the corner. There aren't many words besides soft cursing, but I eventually drag Sirius into the bed beside me. 

"Remus, I-" Sirius tries to talk, but I stop him. 

"No." I bury my face in Sirius' chest, absolutely refusing to think about anything other than that intoxicating scent of leather and cigarettes. There's also something else there, that was never there before, but he still has almost the same scent. He's still my Padfoot. "Not yet."

Sirius hesitates for a moment, but then he relents and wraps his arm around me. "Okay," his voice is so much different from that smooth, confident baritone that never failed to make my knees weak. He's quieter, voice slightly raspy from barking as Padfoot all night. 

We lay here for a long time. Sirius runs his fingers through my hair and rubs my back but he doesn't say anything. I don't want him to. I just want the two of us to be here for a while. 

Finally, I decide to say something. I don't move, because I'm close enough that he can hear me. 

"Why didn't you try to find me?" I ask, because that's what's eating at me the most. How long has he been here, knowing exactly where I was, and he didn't come to find me? 

"I couldn't risk getting you into trouble." He practically whispers, because he knows that's going to piss me off. 

"Since when is that an issue?" I move a little, wanting to get up and get into a fight but I don't have the energy. 

"This isn't you taking the fall for a prank, Remus. There are people after me that want me dead. I couldn't risk having them after you too." My breath hitches when I feel his fingers on my chin, tilting my head until I look him in the eye. Everything is so familiar, but it feels so different, now. His hand on my face still makes my resolve crumble, but there's no black nail varnish and no bracelets on his wrist. His eyes are grey and beautiful, but the defiant spark has faded. His hair still falls in curls, but they're matted and tangled.