It's always normal, until it isn't.

~Sirius POV~

I wake up normally. Slowly, no one barging into the flat saying there's an emergency. No overly excited prongs flooing in unannounced. No abnormal crisis that's needing to be taken care of. 

Tranquil: The state of being calm. 

That used to be normal. Until the war. Until we left hogwarts. 

Chaos: Complete disorder and confusion. 

Now, it seems that chaos is the new normal. It seems like, if there is no conflict, no problem needing to be solved, what purpose is there? 

Everyone has forgotten. About tranquility. 

I live for moments like these. Moments when I can open my eyes and let my mind find itself on my own time. Moments where I can look up and see Remus calm and still. He's always so tense nowadays. Now that there is a traitor in the order. 

Remus has his arm wrapped tightly around me, trying to protect me even as he sleeps. It's like we're always paranoid, even in our own home. 

But in these moments, I feel truly safe. There is nothing to be controlled. Nothing to fight over. Just me, and my husband. 

I slowly move my arm, lightly pressing my hand over Remus' heart, splaying my fingers out. That, that beat is so simple, yet at the same time complicated. Weak, yet strong. The heart is a weak spot for all living things. One blow to your heart, and life stops. But at the same time, it's that weak spot that allows one to live. That simple beat is the center of all existence. 

Remus stirs, and I stop moving until he settles down again. He never gets enough sleep. Neither of us do. He'll stay up all night going over battle strategies and pretty much any thing that could help us find the traitor, and I stay up so he has someone to talk to. The problem with Remus is when he's scared, he pushes himself into his work, in an attempt to drown out the feeling. Sometimes, it works. Other times, it results in a breakdown. One night, devoted to ice cream and cuddles. We both have breakdowns from time to time. Moments when we want to leave and never look back. 

But for some reason, we always look back. We look back because the people here are our home. We ground each other, bring each other back from those times. And we always try our bests to make it better. That's why we're so good together. Our love is strong enough to keep us going. But if one of our hearts stop, the other breaks. The other heart doesn't have that feeling of security anymore... So it crumples under the pressure of having to walk this winding path alone, while still dully beating. 

That's why we feel we must do everything we can, to protect each other. 

After minutes.. Maybe longer, Remus speaks. Not a 'good morning'. Not a 'Why are you awake?' not even a 'What time is it?' But three simple words. 

"I love you," His voice is soft. Rough with sleep, but tender and loving. 

"I love you too," I whisper. 

As Remus wakes up, he moves one of his hands to play with my hair. I smile and wrap my arms around his waist. 

"How long have you been awake?" Remus asks, his voice still sweet and sleepy. 

"I dunno. Not very long. What time is it?" Time. The next stepping stone in the river of life. In the middle, you have the heart. The next ring after that, is time. We base our civilization off of this giant star that warms and brightens our world, but we have no idea why. How did our ancestors calculate the minutes, adding them too hours, and adding them to days? We don't know, yet we go along like it was just always there.