Drabble

Short, sweet, to the point. 

Cop AU

~Sirius' POV~

I creep up a set of stairs while James wrestles a drunk, belligerent man outside. 

"Hello?" I call when I get to the top. No answer. I peer around the hall, looking for any sign of life. 

Ah. There is a faint light coming out from under the last door in the hall. 

I walk towards the door. 

"Hello?" I call again. Once again, no answer. I count to three, then push the door open.

There is a kid curled up in the corner of the room, reading a book with headphones placed over his ears. He's bleeding from his shoulder, and his jumper sleeve is soaked in blood. 

The boy looks up, and I can tell he's older than I thought he was. His soft amber eyes go wide, and he pulls his headphones down around his neck. 

"Hello." I say, crouching in front of the boy so I don't seem threatening. 

"Hi." His voice is soft, and more than a little scared. 

"I'm not going to hurt you," I keep my voice soft and soothing, knowing exactly what he needs to hear. 

"W-whats going on?" 

"Well, your, I'm assuming, dad, is going to jail. You, have to come with me,"

"Really?" His eyes light up, and I'm sure that light hasnt been there for a long time. 

"Yeah. We should hurry, you're hurt," My worry is growing. 

The boy looks down at his arm like 'what the fuck? I thought you stopped bleeding'

The boy shrugs, wincing. "Eh, I've had worse," 

"Okay. I have a question, anyway. Why are you I the corner?"

"Best lighting from the window and the lamp. Besides, dad was drinking. I needed a small spot to curl into," 

"Did he do that to you?" 

"Dad pushed me. My clumsiness did the rest of the work. Ran into a shelf, opened an old wound," The boy pulls the collar of his jumper down, exposing the cut on his shoulder. It's bleeding at a slow pace, but it is bleeding. 

I grab my radio. 

"James, I've got a kid here. He's hurt,"

"I've got the guy in the car." 

"Did a live and Frank show up for backup? I want them separated," The boy looks like he wants to protest, but I hold up a finger.  James answers with a yes. 

"What's your name?" I ask as I help the boy up. 

"Remus. You?"

"Sirius," I answer. Remus is limping slightly. He chuckles. 

"Like the star?" I nod my head. 

"Family tradition," I explain. 

"I like astronomy. Stars are really pretty," 

"Why thank you," I chuckle. Remus rolls his eyes. 

"I can already tell you're an idiot," 

I laugh. "We're going to be friends,"