Happy new year

~Sirius' POV~

I run through the halls of Hogwarts, looking for my elusive boyfriend. He left the party a few minutes ago, and the fireworks will go off in a half an hour when the clock strikes twelve. It's going to be our most extravagant prank of the whole year, and I've lost moony. 

I jog up the stairs of the astronomy tower. "Moony, baby?" I call. This is where the map said he was. 

Remus doesn't answer, but when I get to the top of the stairs I see red converse dangling in front of a window. I walk over and poke my head out. "Moony, I thought you ran off on me." I climb up to sit next to Remus, settling on the roof beside him. 

"It was too loud for me. Sorry Pads." Remus wraps his arm around me and somehow he's still warm having been out here for Merlin knows how long, while I'm practically shivering having been out here for thirty seconds. 

"It's alright, moony." I lean my head on Remus' shoulder, smiling softly when he pulls me in close to his side. "You could have asked me to come with you." I add, gently kicking Remus' ankle. 

"I needed the time to think. Our first kiss was a year ago in a half an hour, you know." Remus hooks his foot around mine and pretends like he's going to pull me down, making me instinctively cling to him even though he does that every time we're up here. 

"You mean the best kiss I ever had?" I press a kiss to Remus' shoulder. "I was so fucking drunk, but I knew who I wanted to be next to at midnight." My heart races just at the thought. It's like my mind cleared for just that one moment when I grabbed Remus and he put his hands on my waist and kissed me so much better than I had ever been kissed. 

"Considering I was probably more plastered than you were, that is a horrible slight to my kissing skills." Remus replies and I can't help but laugh, feeling a bit tipsy in this moment as well. James had something that he called a devil's cocktail, and I think I had one more than I probably should have. 

"It wasn't the most coordinated, but it was the moment that made me realize who I want to spend my life with," I speak quietly, because disrupting the silence of the night seems almost criminal. It's beautiful, a light blanket of snow paints the world in pure, untouched white. A flake falls here and there, falling to settle softly on top of the rest. 

"Me, too." Remus agrees. 

We're quiet for a few moments, watching the stray snowflakes as they fall to catch up with their friends. I slip my fingers through Remus', pressing a kiss to his knuckles. 

"Thanks, for putting up with me this year." I whisper, and Remus gives a soft noise in response. 

"Oh, I don't have to put up with you. I love you." 

"That may be true, but I know I'm a bit hard to deal with sometimes." I reply. "And I'm not putting myself down or anything I just- thank you, moony. You got me through some real shit this year." 

"Well, you're welcome. And thank you, for always being there when I needed you even when you were going through that shit. That's one of the reasons I fell in love with you, you know? Your big heart." 

"The same reason my family hates me. It's a wonder I ended up gay and disowned." I chuckle, because it really is so ironic. I grew up with my parents who told me to turn it off, hide my emotions because they were weak and unattractive. Then when Remus and I started dating, he looked at me and he told me that he loved it when I showed my emotions. I really am just the exact opposite of what they wanted. 

"You ended up /happy/, Sirius." Remus squeezes me gently. "You overcame so much shit from them, and you did it all with that pretty smile on your face." I smile a little at that, hiding it in Remus' shoulder because we both know that he's the only person who gets to hold me when it gets to me too much. 

"I wouldn't have made it through this year without you, Re." I whisper. "Do you have any idea how close I was to giving up? You loved me even at my lowest, even when I tried to push you away. I'll never forget that." 

"I am quite the stubborn bastard, aren't I?" Remus kisses the top of my head. "I'd do it all over again, pads. It scares me sometimes, how much I love you."

"Hey," I laugh, suddenly remembering a sweet memory. "Do you remember that first night we were both at James's during the summer? You were so worried that we would get caught in bed together-"

"-but you dragged me in with you anyway because you were cold. In eighty degree weather." Remus finishes, laughing with me. 

"I have to admit, my moony, I wasn't really cold." 

"I never would have guessed."

We continue to softly share memories, laughing and reminiscing as we watch the snowflakes and wait for the clock to strike twelve. 

Finally, Remus leans down go kiss my cheek and he quickly pulls away. "Sweetheart, you're freezing!" He slips his jacket from his shoulders and wraps it gently around mine. 

"Well, I did chase you out here without a coat on." 

Remus just stares at me, his amber eyes shining softly in the moonlight. There are snowflakes scattered about his curls and his cheeks are pink and wind burnt. He looks absolutely gorgeous. 

"Better?" He finally asks, and I can't help but grin. 

"I'm perfect, baby." I reach up to put my freezing hand on Remus' cheek. He doesn't flinch away, though, he's so used to me being cold. "So perfect, and so goddamn lucky to have you." 

"Oh, you fucking sap." And he kisses me, our lips touching just as the clock rings with the strike of twelve and the fireworks that we planted in the forbidden forest are all set off. 

We pull apart a few centimeters and lean our foreheads together as the beautiful fireworks paint the pitch black sky. 

"Happy new year, Pads." Remus whispers, and my heart overflows. 

"Happy new year, my moony." 

~

Happy new year guys! Thank you so much for sticking by me through my writers block! Your supportive comments push me to keep going, and you have no idea how much I appreciate them. I've got plenty of works in progress, so please hang on a little longer and stay tuned. Good luck in the new year, and remember I'm rooting for you! 

I love you guys. 

-Jak