Chapter 65: Old Friends

As you lay down on the couch, you sigh looking around the compounds living room, it was empty, unused.

Picking up your phone, you stare at it for a moment. You open it, scrolling through your contacts you stop at one.

You click it, listening to it ring.

And ring.

And a final ring.

It goes to voicemail.

You sigh and with a small smile, your voice goes slightly higher, hiding the disappointment within your tone.

"Hey...Nat, it's me; y/n." You say softly.

"I was just calling to-" you stop, scanning the empty room.

"To say we miss you." You finish. You hold the phone to your ear.

"We would visit, it's just- too much right now." You sigh, grief strikes you again.

"It's coming up, seven months since...since the snap- and, I...I just need my family, I need-"

You're cut off by the ring, telling you your message was too long and won't record anymore. You sigh, taking it from your ear and hanging up.

You take a moment. Sitting in silence. You scroll again, clicking on another contact.

It rings.

"Hello? Y/n, is everything alright?" The voice says from the other line.

"Hey Steve, everything's fine." You laugh softly, you could almost hear him be confused by your call.

"I'm just calling to say-"

"That you miss us?" He asks from the other line. You fall silent. He laughs softly.

"Nat just called." He reply's. You smile slightly, giving him a small laugh.

She heard your message.

"You can tell me the truth y/n, you know that." He says from the other line. You clear your throat, tears well in your eyes.

"Can you-" you paused, letting him answer for you. But he doesn't. It grows quite over the line as your eyes prickle, filling with tears.

Steve hears your sniffle from the other end.

"We'll be there y/n." His words were comforting. Warm and understanding.

"I'll see you soon." He says again. You muster up a small 'okay' and he hangs up.

You take a moment to yourself, dropping the phone from your ear and to your lap.

You look down, biting your lip and closing your tearful eyes. You take a deep breath and look up. The darkness in the room consumed you. You walk over to the window, blackened out by curtains.

You open them, letting the bright, yellow glow of the sun inside.

You look back down to your phone, then outside. Wanda walks into the room and groans.

"What's up with the window?" She asks, blocking the light from her eyes. You turn and smile, looking down at your phone and then back up.

"I called them..." you say, a small laugh escapes your lips. She drops her hand and her brows furrow. She nods, understanding your grief.

"I have to find someone, and if you're up for it-" you go to continue but Wanda cuts you off.

"Of course," she started. "I'm there." She says quietly. You nod and after a moment, you head to your rooms, getting dressed, fully, for the first time in almost a year.