ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ: ᴄʜᴀʀᴍɪɴɢʟʏ ʙᴀꜱʜꜰᴜʟ

➹₊•°༉彡˚✧

                    WASTING NO MORE TIME, the young male leapt into action

WASTING NO MORE TIME, the young male leapt into action. He took his alarmed gaze off of me, directing it to the two men who also got over their initial shock. Despite their lingering fear, they set off to charge an offense. Their plan was predictable even with the distance I served, seeing them nod at each other and together they attacked.

Although, the supposed strategy of bewildering was also seen by the defender, doing something that made me raise my eyebrows. Both of the men fell down to their knees, clutching their hearts as if they were struck with an unbearable pain. The boy took this as a chance to smite his assailants, knocking them out with a smooth motion of their own blade.

His chest heaved raggedly at the loss of breath, the glow slowly dimming until his dark brown eyes became visible. The boy didn't seem far from my own age, a youthful look present on his face. It lightened up even more once he turned to look at me like he actually forgot I was here, a bashful grin carving on his thin lips.

“Hi!” His voice didn't stray far from his juvenescence, a mixture of slight deepness yet also very peppy on the ears. The boy's eyebrows weren't as thick as Edmund's, his build being lean with evident muscles but he was short. Possibly even shorter than me, but taller than Lucy. “I . . . I uh, I– You didn't see that, right?”

He ran his hands through his naturally wavy hair, the colour being the same as his gazers. My forehead creased as an answer, him only widening his eyes then dropping the sword he was carrying. Wiping his hands onto his trousers, he stumbled his way to where I was.

“That was– uh, that was self-defense,” The male bobbed his head, as if approving of his own words. “Whatever happened back there, we can just forget about it.”

Giving him a blank look, I just blinked away all of my confusion. Turning on my feet, I walked away to give ourselves some space. My hands went to sheathe my weapon back to my belt, retracing my steps back where I initially arrived. It wasn't long before the boy yelled quite loudly.

“Wait!” Was followed by the sounds of his running form, arriving beside me to where he matched my own strides. “Where are you headed?”

Merely ignoring him, I kept my focus straight to the path I was passing. With much discretion, I also willed my ability to succumb inside, just enough to make it unnoticeable by him if ever he can feel it. He frowned at my lack of attention, adjusting the straps of his leather satchel.

“I haven't seen you around here,” Rolling my eyes at the air, my peripherals caught him bite his lip in thought before glancing at me once more. “I'm Jack Hewitt.”

“You are an empath.” Finally, I stated, giving it the utmost nonchalance I could muster despite the ongoing questions I had.

Jack's eyes blatantly widened in genuine surprise, mouth even falling slightly. “This– this is a good start! Only a few people truly know what I am!”