The Seer

The ritual was complete after you were selected to be King Loki's advisor. You came highly recommended due to your magical abilities. It was best to pair magic possessing beings together. When you arrived at court there was a vibrant welcome party in your honor. "It is my pressure to introduce, The Seer, (Y/N). She has been selected as my senior advisor. Welcome madam seer." Loki says as he takes your hand and helps you stand from your spot at the table. People cheer and clap causing you to smile. "Thank you my king. I hope to be useful to you." You say before sitting back down. A grand feast is served and many different ales and cocktails were making their way around the large table. You could already hear the whispers but you paid no mind to them. Once the night wraps up you were escorted to your chambers. A large bed and sitting room a few rooms down from King Loki.

Loki was in his personal library with the other advisors within his court. Ones that recommended you for the position. "She seems fun." He chuckles as he sits down on a couch. "I'm sure she will open up once she gets comfortable." One of the men say as the others nod in agreement. "I do have a question." "Of course my king what would you like to know?" "What was she wearing over her eyes? It looked like bandages." He asks as he takes a sip of his drink. The advisors nervously look at each other, trying to decide who is going to tell him. One of them finally speaks up. "Once a candidate is selected they go through a ritual. This ritual is a gesture of loyalty to whomever they are assigned to. They are bandages sir. The Seer is blind your grace." Loki chokes on his drink after hearing those words. "They took her sight as an act of loyalty?!? That's cruel and ridiculous! Poor woman." "I assure you my king she knew what would happen once selected. The ritual is an act of status where she comes from. In her culture her blindness elevates her to elite society." Loki sighs and nods at the new information.

Weeks pass and you settle into your new role nicely. You are able to remove the bandages and wear a more traditional covering. A curtain of black and gold beads covering your eyes that stop right at the apples of your cheeks. Your hooded cloaks hide the ribbon ties you use to secure it to your head. You didn't like the way the beads clattered together with every movement you made. It could be quite deafening in a silent hall or room. You sat at Loki's right hand at every meeting and meal. "Are you adjusting well madam seer?" Loki asks during dinner. "Yes my King. Haven't got lost yet so that's a good sign." You tease as you feel for your cup. He quietly moves it closer to you even though you could tell he did. You just smile and give him a thankful nod. "Ah yes a very good sign but don't hesitate to ask for help. I and I'm sure anyone else will be more then happy to help." "Oh I couldn't ask that of you your highness. I will manage on my own." "Well my offer still stands regardless." You nod and turn your attention to your meal. You really didn't need the help, your magic got you through day to day just fine.

You were walking the halls when you heard a group of ladies come towards you. "Afternoon madam seer." They say as they curtsy. You return their bow and continue on your way. You were more then a few steps away when you hear them talk about you. "I heard her eyes were plucked out of her skull. That's why she had the bandages when she first arrived. It's so horrid to look at that's why she wears those beads." "Well I heard everyone is like that where she comes from. Can you imagine everyone fumbling around trying to find things?" They whisper to each other and giggle. Neither of these were true of course but it hurt to find out the people of court speak ill of you, despite your position. Your ears perked up again then the same ladies let out a frightful squeal. You were too far away to hear much but you did make out someone apologizing profusely. You shrugged it off and went about your day.

It was late that evening when you were crafting some elixirs in your room. Everyone should have been in bed but there was a knock at your door. You tie your robe shut and put your beaded coving back on. "My king. What can I help you with this evening?" You say as you open the door and curtsy. "How did you know it was me?" "I have memorized the sound of your walk. I can tell who's who like that. Please come in but excuse my clothing." You giggle as you open the door wider for him to enter. "Really? I make a certain sound when I walk? And thank you." He says as he enters. You gesture for him to sit down and he does. "The sound of your boots against the marble make a distinct sound." "Of course that makes sense." He laughs nervously trying not to make himself sound ridiculous. "May I ask the reason for your visit my king? Do you need something?" "Oh right. Sorry for disturbing you at this late hour but I wanted to check on you. Have you been treated well and with respect?" You hesitate and you hear Loki move closer to you. "Please tell me what happened." He says as he takes your hands in his. "I've heard whispers ever since I arrived never really knowing who they came from but today I may have an idea. Earlier I passed a few ladies of court in the hall. We all pleasantly greeted each other and went on our ways. As they passed they started speaking very badly about me. About my eyes I mean." You sigh as he gives your hands a gentle squeeze. "Yes I heard what they said. I was rounding the corner when they bumped into me. I assure you they will never speak ill of you again along with anyone else. The other advisors told me about the ritual. At first I thought it was cruel but they explained it's a good thing where you're from." "Correct my king. I'm the first in my family to receive the honor so it's a big deal to me." You say as your face lights up with pride. "And you should be celebrated for it not mocked behind your back. Care to tell me more? Does your covering have meaning as well?" "Not really. My people wear these to shield others from what our eyes look like after the ritual. Sometimes the healing process could go wrong and cause disfiguring. If we are just around our own we don't wear them. I honestly don't care for them but as you can see Asgardians don't take kindly to different. Oh goodness I'm sorry my king that was too harsh of me. Forgive me." You say as you bow your head in shame of what you said. You feel his finger lift your chin up. "I know all too well that Asgardians don't take well to different. May I see your eyes madam seer?" "What if they didn't heal right? I don't want to displease you." "You could never. I want you to be comfortable around me and here. This is your home now you shouldn't have to wear something you don't like for the comfort of others." You nod and reach for the ribbon ties.