Chapter 36 The Hearing

Mira, Cedric Diggory, Mr. Diggory, Arthur Weasley, and Harry stepped into an elevator on Level Three of the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes including the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad, Obliviator Headquarters, and the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee. The lift was packed with a few witches and wizards quickly exiting the floor as if they were late for an appointment.
"I'm working on Level Three," Mr. Diggory said proudly. "Arthur does too."
The group walked down a corridor of wooden doors before being guided to their destination by a woman in a black milary-style dress. She said her job was to take them to a courtroom.
Mr. Weasley stumbled to a halt outside a grimy dark door with an immense iron lock and slumped against the wall, clutching at a stitch in his chest. "Go on," he panted, pointing his thumb at the door. "Get in there."
"Don't be nervous," Mr.Diggory said to them.
"Aren't...aren't you coming with- ?" Harry asked the two adults.
"No, no, we are not allowed. Good luck!" Mr. Weasley told him.

The three followed her direction
The walls were made of dark stone, dimly lit by torches. Empty benches rose on either side of them, but ahead, in the highest benches of all, were many shadowy figures. They had been talking in low voices, but as the heavy door swung closed behind them an ominous silence fell.
Cedric, Mira, and Harry felt trepidation fill their veins as they heard a familiar voice call out Mira's name - it was Fleur, her face creased with worry. Seated in the wooden chairs until then a feeling of wrongness had slowly taken over, as though they were criminals being put on trial. That feeling was confirmed when a cold, authoritarian voice rang out from the assembled crowd, ordering them to take their seats in the other three empty chairs.
Suddenly a cold voice has rung out across the room. "This court will be in session." All at once, a panel of at least fifty people wearing plum-colored robes with an elaborately worked silver W on the lefthand side of the chest appeared in the room. Some wore stern, austere expressions while others looked at them with frank curiosity as they stared down their noses at the four of them. In the very middle of the front row sat Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic, and to his left sat a broad, square-jawed witch with very short gray hair.
Fudge began to speak in a loud and authoritative voice: "The Maze Accident Hearing of the Seventh of July." Percy scribbled some notes on the paper in front of him, and Mira turned to look at the other people present. She saw Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape were all there, and when they noticed Mira looking at them, Dumbledore even gave her a small smile.
Fudge cleared his throat, and Mira turned her attention back to the hearing. "Are the accused present and ready?" he asked. Taking a deep breath, Mira nodded her head and spoke for the four of them at once.
"Yes, sir. We are ready."
Fudge asked looking at them, "Where you all went that night? First Mr. Diggory?" Cedric looked at him full of confidence. "When we touched the cup, we were transported to a graveyard near a church or small house. I didn't notice much." "That's enough, Miss Delacour, what did you see?" Fudge said shifting his focus on Fleur, "Ahh...we arrived at the graveyard... as Cedric said, there was a small house present. Then a man came from that house holding a small fragile body or baby in his hand." She explained but was stopped by Fudge's voice "Mr. Potter, your turn.", "He was Peter Pettigrew that came out from the house with a baby in his hand. Harry said.
"Peter Pettigrew was dead!" a female voice called from the court. "Yes, Mr. Potter, Peter Pettigrew was murdered by Sirius Black," Fudge said. "No, he didn't. He was there. I saw him," Harry said firmly. The court was filled with murmurs, disbelieving the words that had just come out of Harry's mouth.
"Didn't Barty Crouch Junior tell you anything?" Mira asked. "And what about Igor Karkaroff, did you find him?"
"We didn't catch him yet," Fudge spoke up. "Barty Crouch just keeps laughing at everything we asked him. Did you also see Peter Pettigrew, Ms. Vain?"
Mira nodded. "Yes, he was there, carrying a weak Voldemort in his arm," she said.
The courtroom suddenly went wild. People began murmuring and whispering to each other, and Mira glanced at her fellow defendants, Cedric, Harry, and Fleur, who all seemed to be looking at her expectantly.
The courtroom erupted into a frenzy of whispers. Some people were in disbelief, others were in shock, and some were in awe
'Silence!' Fudge shouted, the whole court going quiet in an instant. Everyone was now looking at them. "You saw... You-Know-Who?"
Mira looked around the room, steeling herself for what she was about to say. "I did," she said at last. "I saw him."
Fudge looked at the four of them in disbelief. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Do you know what this means?" He said. "This means that Sirius Black did not murder Peter Pettigrew. He was alive, and Voldemort was with him." The court went silent as everyone tried to digest this news.
The court erupted in uproar, but Fudge quickly called for silence. "It is clear what we must do," he said, "an investigation must be launched immediately and the truth must be found out."
So, Peter Pettigrew and You-Know-Who are returned?" Madam Bones asked, staring down at them,
"He is returned," Mira said with full confidence, Some of the wizards and witches were muttering again; a few nodded, but others were frowning and shaking their heads. After a few more questions and answers trial was over they let them go, They were about to exit the door but they heard Fudge's voice "Wait, kids".
They all stopped and looked at Fudge in surprise.
"How are you Ms. Vain?" Fudge asked, looking directly at Mira.
Mira was taken aback by the directness of his question. "Fine," she muttered.
"I want to ask something," Fudge continued, taking a step closer. "Are you all telling the truth?"
Fleur stepped forward, her face and voice full of indignation. "What do you think we're doing?"
"Nothing!" Fudge said shaking his head "I just-
"It's time to leave!" Dumbledore called from several steps away.
Mira glanced at Dumbledore and then again looked at Fudge "Reopen the Sirius Black case too I don't think he is guilty," Mira said to Fudge before walking away from him, she walked to Dumbledore Harry, Fleur, and Cedric also joined them.
Dumbledore was standing with a mysterious smile on his face. He said, "Today is a special day." Then suddenly Mira began to laugh. They all looked at him in confusion but then they all joined her and began to laugh.
The parents of Cedric, Fleur, and Weasley were also present. They watched the four of them laughing and Dumbledore smiling at them. It was obvious that something was going on that they were not aware of.
"What happened here?" Mr. Weasley asked them.
"Nothing" Mira replied controlling her laugh and looking at them with a gentle smile.
"Everything went fine," Cedric told them "I am not sure some court members believe in us, they want to investigate all the matter"
Mr. Weasley looked at Harry who seemed to enjoy the atmosphere not as nervous as he was before "Harry are you fine?" Mr. Weasley asked him to know if he imagined that or if he was really enjoying it.
"Yeah..." Harry replied.
Fleur who was quietly standing with them broke her silence. "Mira," she said gently.
Mira looked over to Fleur, who was looking at her with a gentle smile. "I waited for you in the Hogwarts."
Mira returned the smile and said, "I just got discharged from the hospital so..."
Fleur nodded understandingly and continued, "I just wanted to say...thanks for helping me in the maze."
Mira smiled warmly at Fleur. "Hey, don't need to thank me for anything. I just did what I think is right I'm just glad we all survived," she said.
Fleur's father, who had been silent until now, stepped forward. "We owe you a debt of gratitude, Ms. Vain," he said. "You have our undying thanks for helping our daughter and bringing her back to us."
Mira shook her head. "I'm just glad I could help. Besides, I had help - Cedric, Harry, and you."
Cedric stepped forward, his expression somber. "Yes, what you did was brave and selfless. Your brain works in that situation, You should be proud."
Harry nodded in agreement. "You're an amazing person, even in this trial you did amazing"
Mira smiled a bit, feeling her cheeks flush with a mixture of emotion and gratitude. Fleur pulled Mira into a hug. "Thank you," she said, her voice thick with emotion. Mira hugged her back, Mira felt a bit embarrassed and shifted her gaze, not knowing what else to say or do, Steve words during her training with him still ringing in her ear.
Cedric, sensing that the situation was getting awkward, spoke up. "We should take our leave now. It was nice meeting you," he said to Fleur's parents.
Mira nodded and said to Fleur, "Take care of yourself, okay"
Fleur smiled and hugged her last time before they left. As they all went their separate ways.