chapter 1 // sin

Sin, Con, and Tan. The picture perfect puzzle pieces for the Metric Mafia of San Francisco.

Haven Scotch, what a gut piercing name that is. We sat on the ledge like champions with our piercing eyes starting down amongst the club. Our eyes were hunting for the particular human that made us sit in the Cromwell Bar booth tonight. This was the town's most known bar, everybody came here, everybody had sex here, and everybody drank here. It was the worst place for us to be sitting in but we had a specific job to take care of.

My white mask clung to my face, seizing every one of my low breaths until my eyes caught a glance of her. There Haven stood, laughing as she secretly roofied the men's drinks, next to the main bar. My glance gravitated towards my men, Con and Tan, as I gave them a nod of my head as a signal. They knew exactly what I meant, that I had found our prey.

Con, sitting on the chair behind his red mask, turned but immediately turned back. Con was the quiet assassin of our group, he rarely spoke unless he needed to. Tan, sitting across from me with his blue mask, nodded back. Tan was our intel person who focused on cyberattacks, cyber threats, and cyber security. The masks were just a touch to add to our symbols and secretive society. They represented which position and rank we had in our system for those under us to understand better. White represented power, red represented blood, and blue represented smarts.

Although, they all looked different, speaking to who our inner selves were. Mine took the shape of a skeleton face. Two white painted lines streaked down from the forehead to the bottom of the teeth. The only part that was visible of myself was my eyes and hair. The skeleton teeth hid my lips with black teeth, making it hard for others to read my emotions. Over the years, my mask had gained cracks and stitches around the sides.

Con's was special. It engulfed his entire face and only left his hair, he liked to stay hidden away. His was a thin and white helmet with red painted teeth lining his mouth as a pop of color. They lined up like fangs imprinted on the mask just below his tactical goggles that were built into the mask. It often reminded me of a tactical mask that you would see from the military but with his personal twist.

Tan contained the most laid back one out of all of us. His blue mask only overtook half of his face, taking his nose and his mouth. It took the shape of a samurai Oni mask due to the large fangs and familiar engravings. The cheek bones had lined engravings that shaped up into the cracked nose. He didn't mind his face being seen hence only wearing half of a mask.

"This is just another business deal, Sin", Tan told me earlier as we were slipping on our masks outside.

Tan always seemed to understand when my mind was wandering and worked his best to snap me out of it. Damn, he should've got a psychology degree, we could all use some counseling. But Tan was wrong, it wasn't just another business deal.

I had studied Haven for a year now, watching almost every step, and following her to every deal she made. The first time I saw Haven, I was doing a business deal at Cromwell. I had gotten into a nasty bidding war with some casino owners and it needed to end.

I saw her glance behind her back before dumping a substance into the man's drink that she sat with. She immediately caught my eye and something intrigued me, until I found out who she was linked to. Her father, Evin Scotch. Evin was a cruel business man that cheated his way to the top. We didn't fuck with cheaters. He had many debts to owe up too, us being the largest, and he knew it.

As being a mafia, we supplied drugs and weapons to our clients. Evin had came around was when Metric was just starting and we didn't know much. I was thrown into the head position after I killed my dad, a story for later. I hadn't had any training in the business field and I was left learning it with the boys. I had multiple businesses to run along with the supplier role. Tan and Con had never been in such a powerful position and it became a clusterfuck. None of us knew what to do or how to run anything. It wasn't until I watched other allies closely that I began to understand.