chapter 43 // sin

We have her back. We have our warm hearted, strawberry scented, loving girl back.

Until we didn't. 

Everyone knew that something was wrong with Haven, everyone could sense it. I couldn't blame her, who knew what happened in Ryker's place? But, it wasn't the exact reunion we were expecting. Especially for Con, that was one hell of a situation. 

She knew she was free now, she had gotten what we needed and we took what we wanted. Nobody was stopping her from walking out on us even as much as we wanted too. After a week passed of her locking herself in the bedroom and refusing to come out, just like where we first started, I began to give up.

I wanted it to just go back to the way it was before, I was such a fucking idiot. Of course it couldn't go back to that. I took back over my responsibilities from Con and found myself drowning in much more work than I would have ever allowed myself too. Most of the week, I even ended up falling asleep in my rolling chair with my head on the desk. 

I typed away at a newer document regarding Ryker. We still had not received confirmation if he was dead or not, there was no telling unless we obtained the certificate. I had been working with plenty of personal intel about the situation but everybody was hitting a dead end. Especially with Evin. 

He disappeared out of thin air. 

The loud knocking on my door startled my nerves as I jumped up from my desk. After being so sleep deprived, everything had me on the edge. 

"Come in." I growled as I rubbed my temples. 

Tan strolled into my bedroom holding a phone in his palm, shutting the door behind him. I blinked for a few seconds before staring right back at him. I knew it wasn't our phones due to the case not having the Metric logo engraved into it. 

"I have a confession and I wasn't going to say anything but it has to come out now." Tan said through his gritted teeth. 

What a nervous mess. 

"What?" I questioned, glancing back down at the phone. 

"So, I got Haven a phone when she first came back. I thought it might be nice for her to keep up to date with things since she'll be living in that world, you know?" Tan peeped.

"You did what? You know that's-" I started to yell as Tan cut me off again.

"I know, I know, just hear me out. I thought she would like to have some sense of normalcy again. She's been reading on it and stuff, I don't know." he admitted. 

I took a long sigh before cocking my eyebrow in response. It acted as a "go on". 

"But, it backfired. Someone figured it out, I don't know how. They got around my security blocks, they've been sending all these creepy messages," Tan said as he slid the phone towards me. 

I glanced down at it and scrolled on the home screen, looking at all the messages. 

You can run but you can't hide

I never was finished with you 

Count the hours on the clock...

My top teeth grinded against the bottom ones as I slammed the phone back down on the desk. 

"How does this keep happening Tan? You're supposed to be the best!" I shouted as I stood up.

He glared deep into my eyes.

"Fuck off Sin! We both know we haven't been on the top of our game since she was ripped out from underneath us. I think you're forgetting who found her!" he shouted back, inching closer towards me. 

I rounded my desk and shoved him back a few inches as the anger boiled inside of me. 

"You are supposed to keep her safe technically and you can't even do that!" I yelled.

"You were supposed to keep her safe overall and you couldn't even do that! She went to god damn Ryker because of you!" he shouted.

As I took another step towards him, aiming to come closer, the door flew open. This took away our attention from each other to the person standing in the doorway. Con slammed the door behind him before taking another step forward. 

His white t-shirt was stained with red splotches, he clung to his mask in one hand, and his hair was dripping wet. His chest was heaving up and down while the red liquid stained all over his skin. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as he looked up to meet my eyes. 

"Shut the fuck up, both of you. It's taken care of." Con said, shoving past me to sit in the chair. 

Tan and I stayed silent as Con let out a large sigh, looking out at both of us. He flung the mask on the desk and leaned back. He clasped his hands together and kicked his legs up onto the wood, relaxing his entire body. 

"What do you mean its taken care of?" I sternly questioned.

"It means exactly as it sounds." he announced. 

I felt the sweat building up onto my palms as I began to take another step towards him. I didn't have time for all these bullshit sayings and arguments today. My anger was much more spiked than usual, I didn't care. This is how it had been since she left, it was the new normal.

"I gathered the coward that you couldn't even call a father and chained him in the warehouse." Con began saying.

"You did what?" Tan voiced in a high pitched tone. 

"I fucking found him. After I saw the second text, I went after him. You assholes just lock yourselves in your bedrooms." he said while rolling his eyes. 

"You saw the texts?" Tan asked.

"You act like I don't still sneak into her room and hold her while she screams about what Ryker did in her dreams." Con blurted out.

"Why all the blood?" I questioned, grinding my teeth again. 

"His shit guards, I don't even know why he bothered. He was hiding out at Rykers in the bunker, idiot has no brains." he chuckled. 

"And Ryker?" I asked.

"No clue. Evin won't talk." he shrugged.

"So what, are we just going to interrogate him and eventually kill him?" Tan inquired. 

"I was thinking Haven should do it" Con announced. 

"What??" Tan and I both shouted at the same time in unison. 

"He fucking left her to die. I'd want to put my hands on my father if I was given the chance." Con said.

"He might talk to her." Tan said lowly.

I tapped my finger on my chin for a moment going deep into thought. Con's idea wasn't bad, I didn't disagree with him. I just feared she would want the opposite, did she truly want to kill Evin? Haven had proven herself in the earlier days but this wasn't a meaningless killing. This was her own DNA.

"One chance." I sighed.

"Who should do it with her?" Tan asked.

We all stayed silent for a moment. I knew the answer, Con. Tan and I could make up our apology to Haven another way. Con needed to be that support system for Haven, bring out the bad in her. He knew what she was facing, he was what she needed right now. I also hoped that could spark their connection again.

"Con." I announced.

"No. She doesn't trust me." Con shook his head.

"She trusts you the most, that's why she's pushing you away the most." I said. 

"When?" he asked, sighing in defeat. He knew I was right.

"Now." I said, turning my back towards him.

Go get our girl back Con.