chapter 57 // haven

My leg bounced up and down with anxiety as I sat in the black SUV towards our location. The burgundy suit and white shirt clung to my body feeling much different than a typical dress. I fiddled with the gold jewelry that clung to my wrists and felt my long hair drape down my back. White diamond earrings sat in my ears and a hip holster with my dagger clung to my body underneath my blazer. 

I had chosen my dagger in honor of my mother Ezra. I wanted to show her that I was now that powerful women that she had worked so hard to teach, I wanted to make her proud. I snuck my hand up to my hair, tucking it behind my ear, as we jolted to a stop. I took a turn towards Tan and Con who sat next to me. 

Tan reached over and handed me an earpiece for communication between all of them. I smiled back at him and held onto his hand for a few seconds more. I looked over Sin's shoulder to hear his heavy breathing and slowly patted his shoulder. 

"If I don't make it out of here, I want you all to know that I love you. I love each and every one of you with everything I have. You all are so special to me, thank you for everything you have given me." I announced, letting the soft tear hit my cheek. 

They all turned towards me and smiled before saying in unison, "We love you."

I stepped out of the car, letting my heels click amongst the concrete as I looked up at the towering building above me. It was fully glass and had a view of the entire dance floor from the outside, a bright chandelier lit up the entry way. Con stepped beside me and put one hand on my lower back before leaning down to my neck. 

"I don't doubt you for a second Spitfire. Come back to me, okay?" he said through his gritted teeth.

Sin took the other side of me and leaned in as well.

"Truth or dare, Canim?" he questioned.

I paused for a second before whispering, "Dare."

"And that's why I can't lose you. Give them hell." he responded.

I began taking a few steps forward before an arm wrapped around my waist, spinning me around. I chuckled slightly as I saw Tan's face in front of mine now. 

"I never got to take you to Paris, princess. Please don't let me live without following through with that dream. I need you." Tan whispered, his eyes becoming glossy. 

I let a soft smile capture my face as I reached up and wiped the soft tears off of his cheek. 

"I couldn't die without hearing another one of your jokes, I'm not going anywhere, I promise." I gushed. 

"Je T'aime, my love. I will see you soon." Tan replied, letting go of my waist delicately. 

I took a deep breath as I spun around on my heels and began striding into the entrance. I was captivated by the large entry way that was decorated all in gold with the presence of loud music. It reminded me of the first ball that I attended with Ryker except the energy was much different this time. 

 I walked up to the guards who flashed me a nod before patting me down. After the one guard felt my dagger, he glanced over at the other who signaled something. I smiled at him before leaving the boys behind, making sure not to turn back around. I glanced around as I strolled into the large room, watching everybody dance to the royal music. 

My stomach was in knots by the presence of a reminder from last time. I shoved my hands into my suit pant's pockets and headed up the stairs towards my location. The large stage stood above the dance floor hidden by a small curtain. There were long quartz stairs that lead up to the stage hidden by a small wall and a bathroom that rested right at the bottom of the stairs. 

I took a deep breath and began climbing the stairs, glancing back behind me every few seconds to make sure everything was clear. Once I reached the top, there was a small closet sized room that conjoined with the stage. It was blocked by a small door that swung backwards which I knew would be my hiding spot. I crept behind the door and shoved my small figure into the corner. 

I tapped my earpiece quietly and voiced, "Got it." My body immediately relaxed when I heard Tan's voice respond, "Copy." I moved delicately, sliding the dagger into the palm of my hand. I couldn't imagine anything going wrong now. All I needed to do was wait until the commencement finished, watch him walk out the door, and ambush him from behind. The plan was simple. 

It felt like I had been sitting in this corner waiting for hours until I finally heard a slight humming. I knew it was Ryker by the sound of his footsteps, remembering them from the basement. I scootched as far back into the corner as possible making sure not to make any sounds. After a few moments, Ryker cleared his throat and stepped out onto the stage. 

I mostly heard a mumbled speech that didn't sound very inspiring at all. If business men didn't know how to do one thing, it was definitely speeches. I heard the audience erupt into a huge clap and the sound of glasses slamming together in a toast. I moved my hand to my earpiece and pressed slightly on it.

"How much time?" I hushed into the air.

"Any minute now." Tan nervously responded. 

I sucked in one last deep breath and brought myself to rest in a crouched position, rubbing the dagger in my fingers. Time seemed to slow down as I heard the light footsteps approach, my breathing became the only high pitched noise that filled my ears. I watched his back come into view as I sprung my body forward, grasping his neck into my hold.

I slammed the dagger onto his throat, holding it there for a moment as I bent his body back into mine. I rolled my shoulder into his back, sending him to flip backwards onto the ground. My knee jammed into his stomach as I came on top of him, straddling his waist as I held the dagger to his throat, looking down at him. 

"So, we meet again." Ryker smiled, his eyes lighting up in delight