chapter 24 // haven

I had finally gotten what I wanted.

I was fading away.

My chest tightened while I glistened in the sun.

My eyes were blurry but my hands wiped away the casing from them. I was in a meadow. The sky remained a beautiful blue with a few white clouds maintaining a puffy shape. The meadow was a dark forest green with a few hints of lavender flowers. The green grass brushed my knees as I now wore a blue dress. The sounds of birds chirping fell into my ears while the butterflies circled around my body.

It seemed endless besides for the few lines of tall redwood trees capturing us into a circle. The trees acted as if they were a boundary, not allowing me to peek outside of them. I walked forward through the grass that whipped my knees, aiming at the other end.

A figure came into view, another women. The women had long dark hair that fell right above her shoulders, almost the same shade as mine. Her height remained a few inches above mine but from far away, she looked very petite.

As I inched closer, I took my pointer finger to tap onto her shoulder. It felt as if time slowed while she turned to face me, the birds quieting as she did.

Once her face met mine, I turned pale, all my blood draining from my face.

Mom.

She threw her arms around my body pulling me into a hug that could have broke my bones. My tears rolled down my cheeks, I had done it. I had made it to the other side. She pulled her face away from mine, cupping my cheek into her palm. I leaned into it, sniffling my tears back as she looked over my face.

"I missed you so much, mom" I cried out between tears.

"I missed you too, honey" She said, caressing my face for a few more moments.

"Is this it? This is where you stay, I have finally made it?" I questioned her.

I saw her emotions run through her, sending her into a slight chuckle of excitement.

"Not quite. It isn't your time yet" She said.

"What do you mean it isn't my time yet? Im here, you're here. I saw the sun" I said as I pulled away from her grasp.

"I love you Haven more than words can say." She said, reaching out for my hand.

Tears began pouring harder, this had to be it. I couldn't leave her again.

"Please mom, take me with you, I need you" I cried out, holding her hand close to my chest.

"It is not me you need, it is the gentle souls that the universe gives you, these people are your art. Your love is more than valuable when given to the correct art." She replied.

My mind was scrambling, too many words and meanings were happening at once. I shut my eyes, hoping to unscramble my thoughts, wanting to understand. As I opened them again, I was alone. The heavy feeling of her hand left my palm, leaving not even a trace.

"Mom, where are you? Mom please" I yelled out as I trudged further into the meadow, trying to reach the trees.

I was failing, I was sinking into the thick mud. The trees too far out of grasp as I tried pulling myself through. I shut my eyes and began screaming, I wanted this to be over. I thought it had been.

My throat ached as I continued screaming before my eyes shot open. I threw my hands up onto my throat before glancing around, now in a new room. The light shone straight into my eyes which made it impossible to see my surroundings. My senses were mixed, my vision blurry and my ears in a daze. I heard mumbled voices and saw black figures circling around me.