chapter 5 // tan

I threw my mask down off my face in a pity fit against Sin. 

"This was NOT my idea, you do it, idiot!" I yelled, pushing back the plate of food Sin tossed me.

We were standing in the kitchen now tossing the plate across the island. Our kitchen was large, large enough for Sin's cooking. It was an open floor towards the dining room and living room. It was easier to have everything on one floor rather than multiple. The stairs to the right of the living room lead to our bedrooms, the door to our left lead to the penthouse hallway, and the stairs on the left of the living room lead to our training gym. It was the perfect size and we had everything we needed.

The kitchen remained open as well besides the black island with steel bar stools that sat in the middle. The rest of the black appliances lined the back wall, facing out towards the dining room. We didn't have much decorations in the kitchen besides a bowl of fruit and a large art piece above the fridge.

Haven hadn't came down for dinner or breakfast and now Sin wanted me to do the honors. Con and Sin always sent me to do emotional work because they don't know anything when it came to feelings.

"It's a fucking order Tan, not just a sentence." Sin growled.

I saw the look of fire in his eyes and I quickly became a roadrunner. I snatched the plate and never looked back again, that's the best choice for now. I hated when he used the 'I gave you an order' tone with me, it gave me the creeps. It's like a deep animal growl where he wouldn't hesitate to kill me with any object next to him.

The typical staircase that lead to our hallway seemed more anxiety inducing than usual. It was just some girl that is now living under our roof, how bad could delivering some food be? Except, she wasn't just some girl.

The first time I saw Haven, my eyes couldn't peel away from her. I knew that she was gorgeous but I did not know she was a complete goddess. My mind couldn't stop thinking about roaming my hands all over body and hearing my name come from her throat.

My hand spun in a knock before clicking open the handle to her door. As I pried the door open in a slow manner, Haven peeped up from underneath her grey bedsheets. It was pitch black and I could only see her big green eyes peering back at me. I could've swore she was going to start hissing at me.

"What the hell Haven? Are you trying to be a bat?", I replied back turning on the light switch.

Her face came into view as my eyes adjusted.

"Yes I am. I would rather not come out into the light and face the fact that I was just kidnapped by three creepy men," She sarcastically said at me.

I chuckled a bit, she didn't even realize what we were trying to do and why we did what we did. I saw her eyes peek at the plate in my hands and I swear I saw her mouth let out a spool of drool. I wonder when the last time she had a real home cooked meal was. Sin was a great cook and he had prepped Haven a special "Welcome Home" breakfast meal. What a suck up for women he is even though this was all my idea.

Sin whipped up an entire stack of four blueberry pancakes, eggs, and bacon along with fresh fruit. It did look delicious, I won't lie. I would never tell Sin that, he does not need anything more to boost his already wide ego.

"Im not going to bite, you can take it from me", I said with a chuckle.

I saw the blanket slowly drop from the top of her head which caused her hair to fall back down from being bunched up. She swung her legs out and hoisted herself up with caution. I looked down at her, she approached with caution but much less than last night. She seemed to be settling in, good. My arm extended before Haven snatched her plate away from me, freeing my hand of the weight.

She backed up slowly from me, without a word, and sat down on the bed. I let my back slide down against the door as I perched down on the ground in front of her. Sure, I had many files and security forms to take care of, but this was much more fun for me. Plus, I think everybody would be glad to hear that I actually saw her ate instead of just threw her a plate. We stared at each other as she vigilantly ate her pancakes, bringing the fork slowly to her mouth. Her eyes were so bloodshot, I could smell the reek of pain in her room.

"You don't have to stay and like keep watch over me or whatever it is they want you to do," she mumbled at me.

"I have nothing better to do than sit here, its either this or paperwork. Which would you pick?" I responded.

I wonder how many times she was around genuine company besides her father or gross men. Her shoulders moved up and down in a shrug emotion as she continued eating.

"Sin is a great cook, but please don't tell him, he doesn't need to know" I said, breaking the silence. She just stared back at me with no response.

"You know, you can ask me anything since we're just sitting here anyways, I have nothing better to talk about," I asked.

She sat in a hush until I finally saw her mouth open.

"Well, I guess, I'd like to know who you even are".

I chuckled, I suppose she was right. She only knew my name and here I sat, acting as if we had known each other for years.

"Most people call me Tan, I have lived for twenty two years now, and I am the cybersecurity and intel manager for the Metric Mafia of San Francisco. I am originally from France and I think I can crack a few funny jokes", I told her with a cheeky smile.

All of it was true, I grew up in a great family, lots of money, and in the beautiful country of France. I went to an amazing IT college where I learned everything about cybersecurity, intel, and threats. It wasn't until my junior year that I realized college just was too easy and boring for me. I met Sin while exploring the deep web and I immigrated to America. I had a strong love for comedy and art, I found myself drawing in my free time. She hummed back a nod in response.

"What about you, jolie femme," I said back.

She scoffed at my question as she took the last bite of her food.

"You took me and you don't even know shit about me?" She said as she pushed her plate away from her on the bedsheets.

"I know the basics", I shrugged," I want to know you not just your file." I replied lowly.

She sighed, I could tell she did not like talking about herself or her life.

"You know my age and you know that father uses me for money. I have no interests that I know of", she huffed.

"Why not"

"Well, when you are either getting beat or fucked for riches, you don't exactly have the time for hobbies". She stood up, grasping her plate as she finished her sentence and looked back down at me.

My hands laid across my bent up knees and I peered back up at her.

"Are we done here?" She asked, handing me back the plate.

I stood back up, reaching out to grasp the plate from her hands. She held onto it as she looked back up into me and opened her mouth to speak.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude. Im just still processing everything. I really don't have any hobbies, I haven't tried anything" She said, with a quiver in her voice.

A smile pulled at my cheeks, what a sweetheart. Haven truly was showing her true heart and I didn't want to pry.

"You have nothing to apologize for, princess" I said, not dropping my smile. She let go of the plate and with that, I turned to leave.

We have got to get her some hobbies, that is absolutely wrong. I wonder what would be the things that perk her interest. Nothing stood out too apparent for now so we would just have to try a little bit of everything.

"Sin, Con, change your plans, we've got some shit to do," I yelled out to the boys.