chapter 29 // Con

I leaned up against the headboard, reading into one of my few serial killer novels. I always read them, they were my preferred genre. To be honest, some had some ideas that would be useful for my brutal awakenings when Sin sent me out. 

Otherwise, I could find myself picking up a decent science book. What could I say, I failed school but now enjoyed feeding into the power of knowledge. 

As I was flipping the page, about to dive into the next chapter, my door creaked open. It was about five past two AM which was unusual that I would be having a visitor. I turned my head to notice Haven standing in the doorway, her fingers wiping her eyes. The fire flared up in my chest, I instantly knew.

Sin marked her tonight, he freed her, just like he had done with all the rest of us.

Tan and I all were broken down to our fragile states with Sin when we first were committed into Metric. It was his way of loyalty, to show us that we now were one. Freeing us from our past, burning those ashes, and releasing us into a new Phoenix.

This meant that she was officially one of us, my spitfire was now a Metric Mafia member. Or I should say leader, she had already proven herself much worthy of a higher position. A sly smirk crept at my lips.

I didn't waste a minute crossing the room and scooping her up into my arms, pulling her into a hug. Thankfully, we were here to help and ease her through the transition. After Sin marked me, I was an emotional disaster for a week. I didn't know how to take it, to be detached from the memories that I had suffered from. 

She leant into my shoulders, allowing her liquidated tears to seep into my skin. I held onto her delicate self with much care, giving her all the time she needed. I could smell the fear lingering in the air tasting her tears. She sniffled a few more times before I gently pulled her up, carrying her in my arms.  

The bathroom remained the same, especially my large bathtub that sat on one side of the room. I shifted Haven to my left arm as I turned the water knob to a luke-warm setting. I watched the steam climb up the mirrors and the liquid pouring out to fill the empty bath. 

"It has to be cold Con." Haven muttered beneath the sobs.

I didn't say anything, I just shook my head and exchanged the hot for cold. I understood, it was the opening of the scars that made you want cold showers. I couldn't remember the last time I even turned a knob to the hot setting for myself. 

That is what I enjoyed about Haven. We were so alike inside that I wish I had seen it before. We were two hurting souls with tainted pasts, we could find peace in eachother. We needed eachother. 

I set Haven back onto the floor, stripping her of her clothes and helped her jump into the bath. I kneeled down aside it, not wanting to climb in myself. I didn't waste any time beginning my cleaning routine with her. The shampoo and conditioner ran through her silky hair as I massaged her scalp, letting her lean back into my touch. I hummed a soft tune, allowing the softness of the space soak into her feelings. 

I ran the bar of soap down her body, gently scrubbing, while avoiding the whited-out scars. Haven was utter perfection, even in her worst states and I took all of it in. Her breaths came out slower now, relaxing into the calmness. 

I sat there for a few moments after she was completely cleaned, letting her take her time. I observed her, I always have been an observer. I stay quiet, I watch, and I learn. The way her chest fell up and down, her soaked hair clung to her cheeks, and her tear-stained eyes blinked with every second. It all felt like a movie unfolding in front of me, I was falling in deep for this women. 

I was falling in love with Haven Scotch. Our business deal. 

As Haven nodded towards me, I knew that meant she had had enough. I moved swiftly towards her, wrapping the heated towel around her waist as I picked her back up. I laid a kiss atop her forehead as I fled into the bedroom, placing her down into my bed. 

I stripped myself of my clothes and climbed into the empty spot next to her, pulling the dark sheets over our warm bodies. She didn't waste a moment grasping onto my body, letting the heat overtake our senses. I nuzzled into her and stared out of the large windows behind us. 

I didn't want her to leave. Not then. Not now. Not ever.