chapter 2 // haven

There he was.

The masked man that took over every thought every day, night, and even my dreams.

There he fucking was.

-3 weeks ago-

The slap stung my face as it echoed out into our living room. "You brainless whore," my father shouted, drunk on heavy liquor.

Evin was a tall man who stood around six two. His head would always tilt down to reach mine. His body was average besides his large beer belly that hung out. He had a maintained grey beard that didn't fall an inch lower than his chin. It engulfed most of his jaw which made his face look round. His eyes had never been anything but black, at least for what I had seen.

I had only made half from my job tonight than I should have which was the reason for our fight. It had always been this way, nothing was new. Since I was young, he sold my body to countless men until I was old enough to do it myself. My job was to drug corrupt men who hung out at the bar just enough to steal their wallets, cash, and cards.

The man who I called my father had cheated his way to the top by stealing and lying. I was given no money, strict clothing, and restricted access to rooms in the house. When I was little, I began training for these moments with my mother. When I wasn't forced into some work deal, I was training and practicing. I wanted to be able to protect myself and maybe one day escape from here.

My mother was the one to give me my first weapon. It was a pearl white and slim piece of steel. The case that covered it contained multiple emerald stones up until a specific diamond on the tip. After sliding it out of the case, a gold tone struck back. The handle slid smoothly around my fingers with the specific engravings of flowers. The blade maintained a grey tone that smoothed out into a blue. It was the perfect ombre.

When I received it, I realized that I would never part with this, it had now became a part of me. I trained day in and day out, always keeping it with me. It was now my safety net. Especially due to it being the only thing left of my mother that I had.

"Just use it on him" I used to mutter to myself, flipping it around in between my fingers, almost every night. I couldn't. Evin scared me. He had men, weapons, and skills for days. Compared to myself, I was just one person with one little weapon. Trust me though, I thought about it almost every night.

We never had visitors unless they were business owners, filthy men, or friends of my fathers. I had no self worth and I prayed every night that somebody would realize that I was trying to steal their cash, put a gun to my head, and call my life quits. I would thank them as my last words. Otherwise, it was always a want to be taken away from here.

I dreamed of being able to live with freedom which would allow me to let out my true potential. I wanted love, peace, and a family. After my mother was taken away, I was ripped of the only piece of love that I had.

I never thought there was a chance of me being able to get away. If there was, I would have taken it a long time ago. I had multiple plans to escape over the past few years but they all were ruined one way or another. I wondered if I would ever escape and live with full freedom.

The nights were always the same routine with my father. I would make it home, he would count out the money made, and then send me to my room with a small plate of dinner. Dinner was usually a dry sandwich with minimal toppings along with a glass of water. It never changed and I swear my tastebuds did not even exist anymore. I dragged myself up the stairs until I slipped into my cold and sour bedroom. My face turned to my mirror. My plump pink lips were the first things that my eyes fell too.